34. Wrong

I sighed for the nth time as my fingers twiddled with the daisies I was tending to. Daisies symbolized innocence and purity, both of which I lacked. Growing up, I was taught it was wrong to be impure before I met my soulmate. The mindset of being rejected due to my impurity was engraved in my head. It scared me because rejection ended in death. I didn't want to be the cause of someone's death, and I surely didn't want my mate to die.

Then I hit 17. I forced myself to have an open mindset a few weeks after I became impure, that was when I became socially deviant, and eventually, an outcast. Lana accepted me for who I was. She didn't care that she would become an outcast, she didn't care about any of that. I got into the assassination business when I was 18. I told Lana about it when we were 19. She didn't support my night-time job, but she still accepted that it was a part of who I was.

People told me that when you meet someone new and they don't know who you used to be, that was a good thing. It was a good thing because they judged you for who you are, not who you used to be.

I found that to be a flawed saying. I wanted someone to judge me for who I was, and who I used to be before. Who I used to be before made me who I was, and I wanted them to see that who I was is only because of who I used to be before. I wanted them to get to know me. I wanted my mates to get to know me, but at the same time I didn't. I was not a good person

But I knew they wouldn't want me when they got to know me. Nobody didn't. Nobody except Lana, and she left too.

"Nighter," a voice snapped me out of my thoughts. I looked up at Yoongi. How did he find me? I was sitting in an isolated corner of the garden, thick walls of plants enclosing me and forming a therapeutic cavern, leaving only a small gateway for entrance. It was well away from the palace, and practically impossible to find within the forest of trees that one was supposed to swerve through before even laying eyes upon the gateway.

"Yeah?" I asked, standing up. I dusted my plain clothes. Yoongi was wearing well-embellished royal clothing, as usual. It always made me wonder if they had more copies of the royal attire they wore every day after a bath.

"We need to-" he was cut off by a crowd of people swarming inside. They blocked the gateway, aiming their swords and guns at us. The one time I had my gun on me, and I couldn't even use it without the risk of being shot before I could draw. I stood up and unsheathed my dagger. Yoongi and I stood back to back as he unsheathed his sword.

"Drop your weapons," a lady said, walking up to me. I glared at her. "Do you really want to go against guns with a dagger and a sword? Might I add, you're outnumbered by a lot?"

I dropped the dagger on the ground beside me as Yoongi dropped his sword. It was a clear loss for the two of us at gunpoint. "Who are you?" I asked.

"Min Miyoung," she said. "You must have heard of me, seeing as you're my son's mate."

"Mother," Yoongi snarked out a greeting as he turned around to face her. We were forced on our knees, our hands being restrained behind our backs. "How did you escape your cells?"

"That's a story for another time," she said. "For now we should take this conversation elsewhere, shouldn't we?"

With that, they muffled both of us with a cloth as a gag and blindfolded us. The last thing I heard was a muffled protest from Yoongi before a punch landed on my temple, effectively knocking me out.