27. Carnival Disguise

I put on a mask and a cloak before we entered the carnival. The royals must have been well-liked because neither Namjoon nor Hoseok seemed to be worried about any attacks or such. Nor did the people bat an eyelash as they walked amongst them. I was trailing after them, looking around at the colourful joyous rides in awe. I had seen such rides from a distance, but up close they were huge.

In a way, it was a good thing I wasn't allowed to go to the Carnival on Jupiter. The people, the noise, the ambience, they would have been too overwhelming for me. But on Dagon, it was calmer, people minded their own business. Although I did receive a few looks, which was understandable seeing as I was wearing a full-face mask.

"Nighter, do you want to try out something?" Hoseok asked as he and Namjoon stopped and turned around to face me. That earned more looks from the locals. Whispers of gossip and assumptions were being thrown around from one ear to another. I took a shaky breath as my body started quivering and heating up. My hands twitched, so I fisted them to get them to stop. Uneasy shivers crawled up my spine. Suddenly the mask felt too tight. I had difficulty breathing. "Are you okay?"

Namjoon walked over and grabbed my wrist. He sent a look to Hoseok as he slowly pulled me away from the people's eyes. Hoseok stayed back while Namjoon made a beeline between tents and out of the carnival, probably to lose anybody who decided to follow. Smart tactic. He pulled me behind a tree, gently removed the mask that was covering my face. "Are you having a panic attack? Or an anxiety attack?" he asked.

I shook my head. "No. Just anxiety," I mumbled, feeling more comfortable without the stares of the locals. However, I was still on edge because Namjoon was looking at me. I didn't want anyone to see me vulnerable. Generally, I had better control of my emotions. Every time I felt my anxiety get worse, I would instantly shut off my emotions. That was how I preferred working. I didn't know why it wasn't working.

"Okay. Just let me do this. It will help," Namjoon said. He pulled me into an embrace, wrapping his arms around my waist. I let out a whimper as a wave of comfort washed over me. "It's the bond. It's not you."

I sighed, leaning back at his words. He wasn't referring to the bond causing my anxiety, he was referring to my body seeking comfort from him that was caused by the bond. A tingling sensation in my chest erupted at his attempt to comfort me. He knew I was going to beat myself up for giving in, so he comforted me beforehand.

Our attention was captured when a groan came from the forest. I moved away from Namjoon and moved towards the sound, the silver-eyed male following me closely.

^Namjoon's POV^

"Nighter, stay back," I said. He pulled out his dagger and moved closer to the trees. "Who is there? Show yourselves."

"Jimin. Where are you and Taehyung?" I mind linked.

"Flying to the carnival. Why?" he responded instantly.

"Connect me to Hoseok and Taehyung," I said. Nighter walked closer, so I pulled him back by his wrist. I felt my mind connect to Hoseok and Taehyung. "Nighter and I are in the forest near the carnival. There's a potential threat here. Hoseok, come quick. Jimin and Taehyung, wait at the entrance. It might be someone from the carnival."

I heard synchronized 'okays' before cutting off. A shadow stepped out from the trees and I pushed Nighter behind me. My dragon was on alert.

"I mean no harm. I am a mere human. Unarmed," the person announced, their hands raised to expose their lack of weapons.

"Who are you?" I demanded.

"I'm Lana. And I believe my boyfriend is the one standing behind you."