I Saw the Devil

The music from the string quartet floats gently to your ears as you step into the ballroom. You grip your escort's arm as you attempt to navigate through the crush of women in flowing, extravagant ball-gowns just like yours. Although, yours is by-far the most beautiful.

You can hear whispers from the crowd as you pass: "who is that?" "Where did she come from?" "That dress is atrocious! Why is everyone staring?!"

You take a slow breath to calm your nerves, and although it trembles at the end, you do feel a bit calmer. "Will you stay with me?" You look up at your escort nervously.

He hums, his eyes remaining trained forward. "I will. I'll stay right by your side."

You feel a rush of relief flood through your body. "Good. It's nice to have at least one friendly face here, Taehyung."

"I'll always be your friendly face." Taehyung finally looks at you, his lips forming a bright boxy grin. You feel your breath catch. Although you've known Taehyung since you were very small, you've only seen him smile a handful of times.

You remember asking him why he never smiled while he walked with you through town one day when you were kids. He frowned and said nothing. He didn't talk much when you were younger. You talked his ear off at every opportunity. It wasn't intentional; you just got so excited to see him it was like a dam of feelings just burst every time he came near you. You told him things you wouldn't dare tell anyone else; all your secrets and darkest fears. And he kept them. He still keeps your secrets. You trust Taehyung more than even your own family.

Truthfully, you love him. You love him so much it makes your chest ache. But, you know you can never be anything more than what you are right now. But what is that exactly? Are you friends? Something more? No; it's best not to dwell on it. Besides, it's forbidden. You both know the consequences Taehyung would face if he ever "defiled" you. Not to mention the blow your family's reputation would take. You could never put Tae through that. No matter how much you wish you could leave this life behind and start fresh somewhere with him. But that's impossible. I'm sorry, lovey.

"This is nice, isn't it?" Taehyung's low, deep voice brings you back to the present. "I haven't seen so much opulence in one place since we left the manor." He whistles appreciatively as he gazes thoughtfully at an ornate chandelier overhead.

You chuckle, taking in the string orchestra and the array of well-dressed waiters carrying trays of hors d'oeuvres and drinks. "I think we're outclassed, Taehyungie."

"You? Never." Taehyung looks at you again, placing the slightest amount of pressure on your hand as it rests in the crook of his arm. "You belong here. Don't doubt yourself. You belong here."

Tae's words fill you with a sense of pride. You raise your head, flashing a confident smile. You stop a waiter and reach for a drink. Almost instantly, Taehyung has the glass you were reaching for in his hand. He takes a cautious sniff of the liquid inside and frowns, quickly disposing of the drink into a nearby potted plant.

"Tae!" You can't keep the amused smile from your face as he shudders. "Why'd you do that?"

"Smelled funny." he replies.

"You're so overprotective," you say, reaching out towards a passing tray of what looks to be some sort of assortment of cakes. Oh, they smell amazing! Are they freshly baked?

"No." Taehyung pulls you away from the tray before you can get your hands on one of the passing pastries. "I mean it. I don't think we should stay here for too long. You shouldn't eat anything, either. There's something off about this place." His hand is still gripping your upper arm with more pressure than he's ever used on you. You look down at his hand, then return your gaze to his face. After a moment, he seems to realize what he's doing because his eyes widen and he quickly releases you. "I'm sorry," he mumbles, ducking his head.