Run

Kim Namjoon

"Listen, kid," the leader, Dragon, grips my chin in his hand, putting his face inches from mine. "You better not screw this up for us! Get a pretty one, and bring her back. That's it. That's your job. Can you handle that?" His breath fans across my face and I have to fight the urge to turn my head away from the noxious odor coming from his mouth.

"I can do it. Leave it to me," I murmur, ducking my head and leaving the house.

I know I'm on thin ice with the gang. I don't have it in me to hurt people or do any of the other things the rest of the members do for pure sport.

But I have to do this job or I'm out. I can't screw this up...

I find an empty bench in the park and sit. There are children nearby, their laughter floating on the summer breeze.

After a while, the kids leave the park, giggling. I watch them as they walk, getting to my feet as a black car passes slowly alongside them. The car's windows roll down and the kids glance at the car, nervously. In a matter of seconds, I am walking right beside them. "Don't worry," I murmur, glaring at the vehicle until they speed out of sight, their tires burning the asphalt. "I'll walk you home."

I gather the kids around me, making sure they don't stray too far. By the time I've dropped everyone off at home, night has fallen.

I shove my hands in my pockets and head for a busy street in the city, hoping something will turn up.

The city-center is as lively as it always is. People are strolling along, carefree as can be. I take a seat on the large fountain that dominates the space, and put my head in my hands. "Damn..." I mutter, lightly hitting my fist against my thigh.

Suddenly, a scream pierces the night. My head snaps up, trying to find the source of the noise. I take off, shoving people out of my way. I follow the screams and come to a stop at the mouth of an alley between two buildings.

There's a man leaning against a far wall; his back is to me. I can hear someone crying. I cling to the wall as I creep forward. As I get closer, my eyes widen.

The man has a girl about my age pinned against the wall. His hand is over her mouth and tears are streaming down her cheeks. "I just want to have some fun. That's all..." he murmurs, leaning closer to her. The girl sobs and turns her face away from his.

I feel my fists ball up at my sides. I let out a breath before I rush forward, slamming my fist into the side of the man's face. He stumbles away from the girl, confusion twisting his features. I punch him again with enough force to knock him down.

I whirl around, and lock eyes with the girl. She's staring at me, her eyes are wide and filled with tears.

I hear a grunt, and I grab her hand.

"Run!" I shout, racing forward and gripping her hand with all my might. I duck around a throng of people loitering outside a store, ignoring the curses thrown my way.

We don't stop running until I'm back home. I didn't intend on coming here, but it's like my instincts drove me here for whatever reason.

I stop to catch my breath, hunching over and pressing my palms on my knees, finally releasing the girl's hand. "Are you alright? Did he hurt you?" I ask, looking up at her.

"No," the girl says, shaking her head. "I'm alright." After a moment, she sucks in a shocked breath. "My phone! My wallet! Oh, no!" She stamps her feet and spits an angry curse, wiping hastily at her eyes.

As we stand outside, I notice a car pass by with its headlights off. I can't make out the color in the dark, but I keep my eyes on it until it is out of sight.