Just One Day

Your heart is heavy. You keep looking at your phone, hoping that he'd send one last text. But you know that's impossible. He was your best friend in the whole world. But he died yesterday. There was an accident.

Your best friend Kim Namjoon died in a car crash. At the hospital, doctors said he died on impact and that he didn't feel any pain. That gave you a tiny bit of peace.

You lay in bed, with your phone in your hand. Tears are streaming down your cheeks, and broken sobs are making your chest ache terribly. You gaze at a picture of you and Namjoon, squeezing your eyes shut as you weep openly.

You remember the previous morning—the last moments you spent with your best friend. Namjoon had worked a long shift at the gas station the night before, but you had been nagging him to take you to the beach. He promised he would, and Kim Namjoon never broke his promises. Namjoon picked you up as soon as his shift ended. He smiled at you as you hopped into his truck.

You didn't even notice the shadows under his eyes. You were so concerned about the beach that you didn't even bother to pay attention.

When you got to the beach, Joon played with you, chasing you over the sand and into the sea. You were so happy. You loved Namjoon then.

When the sun rose higher into the sky, Namjoon laid out a beach towel and pulled his cap low over his face. You noticed he was laying down, and you selfishly skipped over to him, lifting his cap off his face, and whining for him to play with you. And Namjoon did. He smiled and stayed by your side all day. Then he drove you home. You were both sun-kissed and happy. Even Joon's truck smelled like the sun.

Namjoon smiled at you. "Did you have fun?"

"Yeah," you nodded, grinning. "I love you, Joonie."

Thinking about it now, you can't believe you were so selfish. You wish you could take that day back. You would've let Namjoon sleep. He would've done anything to make you happy! And you couldn't even notice that he was tired! You hate yourself at that moment. The feeling is hot and ugly.

You dial Jungkook's number, hoping he picks up. He does. "Kookie." You try not to sob.

"Y/N." Jungkook's voice is soothing. "What's wrong?"

"I..." You sit up and wipe at your eyes, sniffling. "I miss Namjoon... so... much!" You sob, hiccuping into the phone. "I can't believe he's... gone!"

"I'm so sorry, Y/N," Jungkook murmurs. You can hear the slight pain in his voice. "I wish I could be there for you. If I could I would, but I'm stuck in Busan."

"No." You shake your head, as if Kookie can see you. "It's alright. I'm sorry I'm bothering you with this."

"I'll call you tomorrow, okay?" Jungkook is a close friend of yours. You can always count on him to be a quiet source of support. You know it must be hurting him terribly to not be able to be there for you when it seems like you need him the most. "I love you."

"I love you too, Kookie."

You hang up and let silent screams rip their way through your chest. You scream up at your ceiling, begging God to give Namjoon back to you.

You love Kookie, but you know Namjoon would have found a way to comfort you no matter where he was.

You can imagine Joon's warm body against yours, holding you close while you cried into his chest. His lips would press against your forehead and he'd murmur sweet nothings into your ear.

You'd do anything to see Joon again. You decide to pray. You plead with God to let you see Namjoon for just one more day. You cry yourself to sleep.

The next morning, Kookie calls, like he said he would. You chat with him for a few minutes and he promises to visit you when he comes back home.