The Pursuit of Happiness *Namjin*

Kim Seokjin hums a merry tune as he bustles happily about the kitchen

Kim Seokjin hums a merry tune as he bustles happily about the kitchen. It's a cold winter evening, but the kitchen is warm and cozy. Right about now, Jin can bet that his husband Namjoon is on one of the trains that are passing through, heading home from his job as a professor at one of the most prestigious universities in the country. He knows that the job takes a toll on Namjoon so he always tries his best to keep his spirits up. Jin grins as he reaches for his phone, his fingers dancing across the screen at lightning speed.

*bzzt bzzt!*

Kim Namjoon's phone buzzes in his pocket. He grins when he sees the display. 🤴🏻Seokjinnie😍

🤴🏻Seokjinnie😍: Are you on your way? I have tea brewing for you, and I miiiiight be making all your favorites for dinner~

Namjoon and Seokjin have been married for a year now. They've been in love for as long as they've known each other, though. Seokjin remembers the day they met vividly.

It was a cold winter day in Seoul. Seokjin was sitting on the roof; he'd had a particularly rough day in his Intermediate Business Management class. In all honesty, that course had been hell since the semester began. Kim Seokjin had entered BigHit University as a bright-eyed, hopeful freshman two years ago. He had always known that he was supposed to inherit his family's company and take over as CEO once he graduated. This knowledge never really bothered Seokjin. In all honesty, he had hoped that his parents would forget that he was supposed to take over the company. It was a long-shot; he knew, but he had hope.

After a few moments, Jin sighed and got to his feet, heading back inside. He wandered across campus, and into a building he had never been in before. It was incredibly warm, almost unbearably so. There was something in the air. It was a sweet and light aroma that filled Jin with happiness and brought a soft smile to his face. He could hear the sounds of warm laughter and soft music that drew him forward.

Eventually, he stopped outside of an open doorway, peeking into the massive kitchen setup. Students bustled to and fro, wielding whisks and measuring out dollops of batter into muffin tins. For a few minutes, no one noticed him. As Jin watched the students work, he felt a sense of longing. Truthfully, he had always loved to cook. He spent a great deal of time cooking with his grandparents when he was a boy. At the time, his parents indulged his childish whims with praise and encouragement, most likely assuming that Jin's fascination with cooking would wane as he got older; but it never did. It wasn't until Jin was fifteen and earnestly looking at culinary academies that his parents realized that perhaps cooking wasn't just a passing phase for their son.

Jin remembered his father calling him into his office one evening before dinner. It was Jin's birthday and he had been helping his mother and grandmother prepare an elaborate three-course meal all afternoon. His grandfather had gifted him with a custom embroidered chef's apron just like the professional chefs' his grandson adored. Jin wore the apron with great pride—he was wearing the apron when his father called him aside.