Bet: The Beginning (PART I)

This one-shot is part of a series that will be broken up into multiple parts throughout the collection! I hope you enjoy it!

"Hey~" Kim Namjoon's voice sounds near your ear. You close your eyes and turn to face him.

"What do you want, Kim Namjoon?" Your voice has an edge to it and you wince; expecting the boy's grin to give way to an ugly scowl. But it doesn't.

He leans against the locker next to yours and crosses his arms over his chest. "I was just wondering if you... were free on Saturday?"

Your heart skips a beat. "What?"

"I heard we're having exams in a few weeks and I'm starting a study group. I'm inviting the whole class; you should come." Namjoon gives you a warm smile.

You are instantly wary. Kim Namjoon is incredibly smart, but he's not known for his sweet nature. However, he is known for his handsome face.

"Aw," Namjoon chuckles when he sees your expression. "Don't be that way! I'll have food~ Come on~"

"Fine," you relent, seeing his bright smile. "I'll go. It's not like we'll be alone with each other anyway."

"Alright." Namjoon pulls out his phone and hands it to you. "Put your number in and I'll text you."

After you put your number into his phone, Namjoon's smile grows even brighter. "I'll text you later." He lightly brushes his fingers across your shoulder as he walks passed you. "Wait for it~"

You shiver as soon as he leaves. Yeah, right, You think to yourself. As if I'd wait by my phone for a text from you...

You tell yourself that, but you find yourself glancing at your phone every few minutes.

Namjoon texts you later that night.

NJ: hey

Your heart skips a beat; you wait one whole minute before replying. Yeah; that'll show him that you're not going to be falling all over him!!

You: what's up?

NJ: I'm stocking up on snacks for the study group with my friends. What snacks do you like?

You: Mmm, anything with chocolate, I guess.

NJ: gotcha!

The next two days pass by surprisingly quickly, and before you know it, Saturday has arrived. Namjoon texts you in the early afternoon, asking you to meet him at the library in fifteen minutes.

You've been ready for about two hours already. You're all done-up for this "study group". You gaze at your reflection in the mirror, biting back a smile. You look great. You're sure the people from school will be shocked. You head to the library, a sense of pride and excitement warming your chest.

When you arrive, you quickly spot Namjoon and... his group of friends. Where's everyone else? He said he was inviting the whole class, right? Your heart skips a beat as you hesitate at the library's entrance.

Namjoon spots you and grins, heading over. "You made it! We're over here." He puts an arm around your shoulders. The gesture feels too familiar. An unsettling feeling of anxiety is quickly smothering the previous happier feelings you held in your chest.

Namjoon leads you over to the table where his friends are already seated. He pulls out a chair for you, seating you right in between himself and an upperclassman you remember hearing about last semester. His name is Kim Seokjin. He was dubbed "handsomest high schooler" by a few magazines. Why that is something that was actually edited and published, you don't understand.