Cold

It's been six months since the normal way of living ended. It's been six months since the fucking snow started falling and it just won't fucking stop. There's no way to tell who's still alive or not anymore. Everyone from Before must be dead, right? Yoongi has lost contact with everyone he knew from back then. His parents died from illness about a month after the snow started falling. He had to bury them by himself. God, he remembers the way his tears froze against his cheeks as he piled the last bit of snow onto his parents' bodies. He wouldn't wish that on his worst enemy. No way.
Damn. Just thinking about them makes his chest ache.

"Yoongi? Is that you?" At the sound of the small, faraway voice, Yoongi's head snaps up. He'd know that voice anywhere. He's been stuck listening to it every day for nearly a whole month. He was traveling through a small town a few weeks ago and he happened upon you. He was looting through a sizable building when you hurried down the stairs to meet him. He would've killed you, but when he caught sight of how small you were, how frail you looked, he felt an innate urge to protect you. He ended up bringing you along with him, even though he knew the added strain could be detrimental. But, although he hates to admit it, he enjoys having you around. You're clumsy and air-headed, and you do so many dumb things! He's always having to fix your mistakes. Yes, it's annoying, but Yoongi would do anything to keep you safe. If he were to lose you...

Yoongi shakes his head, raising his voice to be sure he can be heard. "Yeah! Don't come out, it's too cold! Just stay in the house!" He hefts his bag of spoils higher up onto his shoulder and trudges inside.

"Hey, Yoongi!" You beam when you see his face, getting up from your spot on the ratty couch and running over to him. You throw your arms around him, pulling him into a warm hug. "Did you find anything good?" you ask as he sets his bag down.

"I found some pineapple for you," Yoongi says as he rummages around in his backpack for a moment before producing a few cans of chopped pineapple.

"Aww! Yoongi!" You throw your arms around him once more. "Thank you!" Yoongi doesn't move to hug you back, but this is how it's been since the day you met. Yoongi hates having his personal space invaded, so being stuck in such close-quarters with someone that likes to hug and be near him is something he's having to forcefully adapt to.

"Yeah, yeah," he mutters, slipping out of your grasp and going to sit at the table in the dining room. "Do me a favor and put the rest away, okay?" He takes off his shoes and runs a hand down his face. Truthfully, Yoongi hasn't been feeling well lately. It was all he could do to make himself go out to scavenge today. The food supply was running a little low, and the last thing he wants is for you to go without some sort of sustenance. You're already so small and weak-looking. It's a wonder you've survived the cold for so long. "I'm going to sleep. Wake me up if you need anything."

As Yoongi settles onto the couch, he hears you start to dutifully put things away. He listens for a few moments, but then he hears you whine a little. He waits while you seem to pace for a bit. Then you grunt, and a can clatters to the floor. "Shh—" you hiss. Yoongi has to bite back a laugh. He silently gets up and goes to stand behind you. He watches you lean up on your tippy toes in an attempt to put a can up on a high shelf. You stretch and try with all your might to put the can where it belongs, but you can't reach at all.

"Here." Yoongi plucks the can from your grasp, making you jump and whirl around in surprise. He smirks down at you as he puts the can up. "Jeez," he sighs, shaking his head. "You're so short. What would you do if I wasn't around to help you?"

You laugh when he says this, playfully swatting at his arm. "You jerk!"

You move to hit him again, and in one fluid motion, Yoongi has grabbed both your wrists in his hand, pinning you back against the counter. Your breath catches as you look up at him. "See?" he murmurs. "You're completely powerless. Try to get out."