Imagine Namjoon Keeping a Huge Secret from You

"Namjoon, I told you to call me if you needed anything," you sigh, peering into his barren fridge. "We're neighbors. You can depend on me."

Namjoon grins, rubbing the back of his neck bashfully. "I can't ask you and your mom to help me, Y/N."

"Why not?" You shut the fridge and cross your arms, turning to face him. "I've known you since I was three. Don't you get lonely, living here all by yourself?"

Namjoon sighs and bites his lip. "I'm a man now, Y/N. I have to do things on my own."

"Shut up," you scoff, grabbing his hand. "My mom told me to invite you over for dinner. She's expecting you; you know how she gets."

Namjoon opens his mouth as if to protest, but he takes in your hard expression, and sighs. "Okay. But only because I don't want your mother to worry about me."

When you bring Namjoon home, your mother beams and wraps him up in a warm hug. "Ah, Namjoon! How are you doing, sweetheart?"

"I'm fine. Thank you so much for having me over tonight. Is there anything I can help with?" Namjoon starts to head over to the kitchen.

"Oh, you're so helpful!" Your mother rubs Namjoon's back as she steers him toward the kitchen. She turns back to look at you and mouths: "he's so helpful!!"

You roll your eyes and bite back a smile before following them into the kitchen. Witnessing the beautiful genius Kim Namjoon attempt to cook anything is about as mesmerizing as watching a car wreck; you want to help, but you're in such a state of awe that you can't bring yourself to move.

Your mom remains encouraging, praising him and gently coaching him on how to fry chicken. Your mother has always been especially fond of Namjoon. You figure it's probably because his parents died when he was young. You know if she had her way, your mother would've moved Namjoon into the house long ago. But he's fiercely independent, and won't allow for any form of "charity". He does however, enjoy your mother's cooking.

Later, you and Namjoon sit with your mother in the dining room. "Namjoon." Your mother's voice makes him look up from his plate. "How have you been? I've been worried about you."

"Ah," Namjoon smiles. "I appreciate that, but please don't worry. I'm fine, I promise."

Later that night, you and Namjoon are up in your room. He's laying back on your bed. You plop down next to him. You gaze at his face, noticing dark shadows beneath his eyes. "Joon?"

"Hm?" he hums, breathing deeply.

You open your mouth to speak when Namjoon's phone buzzes. He sits up, sliding off the bed and slipping his shoes on. "I gotta go," he says as you rise to meet him.

"Go where? Is everything okay?"

"Yes," Namjoon chuckles. "You're just like your mom. You don't have to worry about me." He pulls you into a quick hug. "I'll see you tomorrow."

Twenty minutes later, Namjoon meets his best friend Jung Hoseok outside a booming nightclub. The boys head inside, grinning. Hoseok and Joon immediately make a beeline for the bar and order their poison of choice. Namjoon downs his shot, grimacing for a moment, then shaking his head and beaming.

"You good, Joon?" Hoseok asks. He and Namjoon come to the bar pretty frequently. However, Namjoon never orders shots. Joon's drink of choice is usually some brand of long-necked beer. When Namjoon signals the bartender for another shot, Hoseok shoots his friend a sidelong glance. "What's going on?"

Namjoon grins, chuckling and ducking his head. "Nothing's going on! I just wanted something a little stronger tonight."

Hoseok studies Namjoon for a moment longer, causing the other boy to fidget and shy away from the heavy gaze. Namjoon's shot comes then, and he downs this one just as quickly as the first.