Glow

You're pacing backstage. Tonight is your band's first live show and to say you're nervous would definitely be an understatement. The sounds of excited chatter from the audience reach your ears and your stomach drops. You push a hand through your hair and spin on your heels, bumping right into your band's drummer, Jungkook.

He smiles at you, clearly excited for tonight. "Ah," he hums. "Hear that? Sounds like a pretty big crowd, huh? Too bad they're not here for us; but we'll get there one day."

Shit. Everyone's been so pumped for this show, and up until about thirty minutes ago, you were too. But now, you want nothing more than to go home and hide in your bed. You didn't fully grasp just how popular the band you're opening for is.

"Hey, come with me to get some air?" you mutter, biting your lip. Without waiting for Jungkook to respond, you grab his hand and begin to lead him out from backstage.

"But, the rest of the guys are getting set up already. Don't you think we should stick around? We go on in, like, twenty minutes." Jungkook plants his feet, looking back at the other two members of your band as they work to unpack the instruments.

"Jungkook, just—" you cut yourself off to keep back the tremor that threatens to slip into your voice. "Just come with me. T–tell them that we'll be back soon."

Jungkook doesn't say anything as he walks over to the other guys. You tap your foot impatiently as you wait for him to come back to you. After what feels like an eternity, he returns, taking your hand again. "They said not to take too long. They're kinda worried about that one high-note, and..." Jungkook trails off.

Once you and Jungkook are away from the stage, you find an empty picnic table to sit at and slump down, resting your head on your arms. Jungkook sits on the table beside you, sighing as he gazes up at the night sky. There are no stars out because of all the lights in the city, but the darkness of the sky itself is still quite beautiful. He feels a sense of peace course through his body, bringing a smile to his face. "You feelin' alright? Nervous?"

You laugh, raising your head to look at him. "Is it that obvious?"

"No," he says, grinning. "I could feel how sweaty your hand was, though."

Your face flushes as you reach up to throw a playful punch at his shoulder. "Shut up! How are you so cool with this?"

"Honestly, I don't know," Jungkook says. "I know you probably expected some wise, helpful answer; but I don't know. I'm not usually the type to get all nervous and anxious."

"Lucky you." You glance toward the stage, feeling your stomach twist. "Jungkook, I–I don't think I can do—"

"Stop." Jungkook places a hand on top of yours. "We've been practicing non-stop for weeks. You can do this, Y/N. I believe in you."

You bite your lip. "Can we practice before we go back; just you and me?"

"Of course." Jungkook squeezes your hand gently. "Just take a deep breath, and let go."

"Okay." you sigh as you get to your feet. You shut your eyes as you begin to sing the one song in your set that has given you the most trouble lately.

As you sing, Jungkook beams, knitting his hands together and resting them in front of his lips. This fails to hide the adorable nose-scrunch he does when he smiles, though. His eyes are alight with anticipation as you near the infamous high-note.

"I think I'd have a hea—" Your voice cracks, and you shut your eyes, hanging your head. "I told you I couldn't hit it, Kookie." You raise your head, giving him a sad smile. "But you can. You're just going to have to sub in for me."

"You were doing great," Jungkook says as he gets up from his spot on the picnic table to wrap an arm around your shoulders. "Look, it may sound silly to hear me be so adamant about this, but I know you can hit that note. I can feel it. I'll be ready to sub in for you if I have to, but I know you can do it."

Yours and Jungkook's phones chime at the same time. As you glance at the screen, you feel nauseous. You look up at Jungkook, and he meets your panicked gaze with a sure, gentle smile. "It's time." He takes your hand, whether to give you reassurance or prevent you from leaving the venue entirely, you're not sure. But he's leading you back to the stage, so it's too late to escape now.

As you and Jungkook take your places, the rest of your band members look at you with a hopeful expectancy, as if by some miracle you'd been able to perfect the high-note in just a few minutes. You duck your head as you take the mic in one hand. Jungkook begins the count off, and you're forced to push past your nerves as best you can.

In all honesty, as you make it through the first few songs in your set-list, you actually start to loosen up. You start to have fun and enjoy being on the stage, interacting with the crowd and your band mates. But the good times can't last forever, can they?

The tempo switches up for your final song of the night. You take a deep breath and pray for a miracle as you step up to the mic again.

"She's not gonna hit it," you hear your lead guitarist say as he steps back.

"She will," Jungkook counters. "I know she will."

How can he still have so much faith in you even when you completely bombed right before you walked up onstage?! Is he an idiot?!

"Twenty bucks says she flubs," your guitarist goes on.

"Shut up," Jungkook says, scowling. "You know she can hear you."

"You're on," the bassist chimes in, nodding at the other guitarist.

Jungkook shakes his head, annoyance flashing across his features as he pounds harder on the drums, as if he's trying to drown them out.

It's do or die time now, baby.

You look back at Jungkook, hoping he's ready to cover for you when you choke. He gives you a warm smile. "You can do this," he mouths. "I believe in you. Show them."

Oh shit. He's really not planning on backing you up, is he? You bite your lip, and sing your heart out. Kookie believes in you, and if he has such a strong conviction about this, then he can't be wrong, can he?

Time seems to slow as you near the point of no return. It seems like everyone on stage is holding their breath.

"So, I'm puttin' my defenses up, 'cause I don't wanna fall in love/if I ever did that..." you trail off, shutting your eyes and hanging your head. Jungkook pounds on the drums to the beat of the song with more intensity than necessary, getting your attention.

"Go!! Do it!!" he says. You nod. You can't put it off anymore, you'll either totally bomb or somehow soar above everyone's expectations. Here goes everything. 

"So I'm puttin' my defenses up, 'cause I don't wanna fall in love/if I ever did that... I think I'd have a... HEART ATTACK!!"

Holy shit. You did it!! The crowd roars as you throw your head back and laugh, pure euphoria making you feel lightheaded.

"Yes!!" Jungkook shouts, grinning. "I knew you could do it!!" He can't keep the smile from his face as he settles down, although his heart is still going crazy in his chest. The feeling is new and unfamiliar, seeming to grow in intensity as he watches you sing.

As soon as your set wraps up, you find Jungkook, leaping into his arms. He spins you around as his heart leaps in his chest. Before either of you realize what is happening, your mouths are locked together. Your legs tighten around his waist. When you finally come up for air, you're both breathless and blushing.

"So I was right, wasn't I?" he murmurs.

"Shut up." you grin as you pull him in again.

I've seen this trend all over TikTok, so I thought it'd be fun to do my own take on it! I hope you enjoyed the story! Talk to me in the comments!