stay in your lane

ANDREA POV

My muscles ached while I was making my way to class.

"I am so tired." Isabella groaned next to me.

"Same. Hey do you think I should say anything to Devyn?"

"Why?"

"You know, she literally punched that girl."

"OHHH yeah. Forgot. BECAUSE I CAN'T THINK WITH ALL THIS SORENESS. But, yeah you should say thanks or something."

"Yeah." Isabella was helping me carry my school model project. We were tasked with making a new school building prototype for class. It was a spontaneous project Ms.Fortney wanted to do. I've heard she likes to do all kinds of crazy projects. As a perfectionist, I stayed up all night trying to build the model, and made Bella help.

"Okay. Here's your class. Good luck. Let me know who you beat, because I know you're gonna win girl!!" She gave me a hug and walked away to her math class. As I walked in, I saw that there were tables placed around the class to showcase everyone's models. I found an empty spot right next to Devyn. Walking back there, I saw that she was sitting on the other side of the table with her arms crossed over her chest, as she was observing her model.

"Hey." I say nervously. I put my bag down, and place my model on the table. She replies by giving me a head nod and then looks away again.

"Um- I, well I wanted to say thank you for yesterday."

"For what?"

"You stood up for me." As I said that, she let out a little laugh.

"Don't worry love, I wasn't standing up for you. I just didn't like her."

"Oh. yeah but thanks anyway."

"You're not my friend. You don't need to say thanks."

"I never said-"

"Hey you stole my seat." Sierra walks in.

"Oh I can move." I say while grabbing my model.

"Oh no. It's fine. I'll just put my stuff over there. How are those knuckles dev?"

"Fine." She replies coldly.

"Damn, looks like someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed today," Sierra turns to me, "Your model looks cool. Maybe you'll win.... on second thought, Dev always wins these. So, maybe you'll come second?"

"Second? No I'm pretty sure I'll win." I say confidently as I look over to Dev who's still staring at her model. She smiles a little after I announce my confidence.

"Okay class settle down. Everyone take your seats. Now we will start by going around and judging the models." Ms. Fortney starts to walk around and check the models. She's scribbling something onto her notepad. My eyelids feel heavy and I feel like I could go to sleep on this chair. After what felt like forever, I snapped out of my trance by the sound of Ms. Fortney's voice.

"Alright. I have the winners. I want to first start off by saying that I am proud of each and every one of you. You guys did amazing. Let's start with the person who won first place." Devyn props up in her chair and straightens up.

"The winner is..." Devyn starts to smile, " Andrea Ramos." Devyn has a look of shock on her face which gives me a good level of satisfaction. As I stand up to go receive my award I tap her shoulder to whisper.

"Better luck next time." And I walk away. Ms.Fortney goes on to announce the others with Devyn at second, and Ruth at third.

"Enjoy the snacks and drinks. Turn on some music too if you'd like. I'm going to step out for a bit." Devyn watches her leave and then makes her way to me.

"Your model isn't even any good." My ears perk up as I turn around to face her. A few students snicker in the back.

"Look, this wasn't some war we were trying to win, it's small competition. And anyways, you got second place. Congratulations to you. If you can't face defeat right now, how will you ever get through life?"

"You're gonna teach me about life? You?"

"Look, I have done nothing to you. And I sure as hell do not want to talk to you at the moment, or I might say something you can't handle."

"Oh yeah? Say what you have to say." She steps closer to me. Sierra gets up from her chair to see what all the fuss is about.

"Why are you making this a big deal? Just accept that you lost." I see her jaw clench. She takes her hand and knocks my model onto the floor.

"There. Congratulations." She gives me a smile and turns around to walk away. I feel the heat swelling up in my chest and a wave of anger comes over me.

I grab her shoulder.

"Pick it up."

"Make me."

"This isn't your father's school, where you can do whatever you like."

"Stay in your lane, Ramos."

"And what about your lane, huh?

"You win one thing, and you forget where you came from."

" I didn't forget about where I came from. But I think you did. You ride around in expensive cars and live in expensive houses. All because of your father. The clothes you're wearing is probably from your father too. Hell, you might be becoming the top student every year because of you're father. So who are you without him? You can't admit that someone is better than you. I came from nothing and here I am winning over you, who has everything. So I'd rather be in my lane than yours." Tears sting my eyes as I grab my bag and storm out of class.