focus

ANDREA POV

I stare at a family portrait in the living room while I sip some of the water from the glass in my hand. The house was more like a palace, then again they were royalty. Putting the glass down, I make my way over to the balcony, where I had been spending most of my time here.

"Beautiful isn't it?" Sloane steps in behind me while the sun rises.

"It's a nice view."

"Yeah, when we were kids this used to be our favorite spot. Well, this or the roof." She smiles and hands me a cup of coffee.

"Oh, thanks. Thank you for everything really, you guys didn't have to."

"It's fine. I love meeting new people, especially Dev's friends."

"Um-"

"Yeah she told me, you guys are not so fond of each other."

" I guess."

"But I want you to know that we all are so grateful for what you did back there. You are one courageous person. If anything happened to Dev, I don't know what I'd do." Her eyes fall as she looks down at her cup in her hands.

"I just did what I thought was right in the moment."

"You're smart. No wonder you beat Dev."

"It's not final yet. We'll find out at the end of the school year."

"I've never believed in the ranking system, it's stupid. I tell Dev that all the time."

"It's easy for people like you to stay. You treat it like a choice. We work for this opportunity all our lives." She takes a seat on the chair and looks up at me.

"You're right. I'm sorry." A few minutes go by in silence as we sip our coffee and stare at the horizon.

"Can I ask you something?" I ask.

"Of course."

"Why doesn't Devyn swim?" She's about to take another sip when she stops, and places her mug down on the table.

"Devyn doesn't like when I tell people things about her. You might have to ask her yourself."

"You know, I did save her life once."

"Really? How?"

"Well, I threw her in the stream because she was being annoying, no offense, and I didn't know she couldn't swim. So I had to go in after her and get her out." Sloane lets out a loud chuckle.

"That's hilarious. Don't mind what Dev says. She's.... complicated. What she wants to say she can't say, and what she doesn't mean is what she says. She's been through a lot. Things no one should go through, and she carries it around with her everyday."

"Rough childhood?"

"Yeah, very."

"I don't think it can be worse than mine."

"You never know. She's a great person, though. I can say that with the utmost confidence. She has nothing but goodness in her heart." Her eyes beam with joy as she talks about her and I can't help but admire it.

"I can't relate, because she's always been a bitch to me." She laughs again.

"She takes time to let people in. She creates this little shell for herself and doesn't let anyone in, until she truly wants to. I wish she didn't do that. I wish she wasn't so scared all the time. Especially with emotions."

"I get that."

"Do you have any siblings?" My ears perk up at the questions and my palms get sweaty. I try not to fidget.

"Um- no. I don't. No parents, no siblings, just me." Sloane looks at me with baby eyes and I feel like she might grab me into a hug.

"I'm sorry."

"It's fine. I'm used to it. I'm just focused on my goals right now."

"Hm and what about Ashton?" My cheeks flush red.

"I assume Devyn told you?"

"Yeah, she's awake too if you want to see her." This time I laugh.

"No I think I'll pass. Have you asked her about Iris?"

"Iris?"

"Her fling."

"Ahhh. Her flings are something I don't keep up with nor do I want to. They're always so messy."

"Commitment issues?"

"I think so."

"So she really isn't as perfect as she looks." Sloane gives me the side eyes.

"She is perfect. She's amazing. She just needs a little patience and help. And lot's of love."

"Seems like you all love her a lot."

"I do. I cherish her. We've all been close since we were kids."

"That's cute. I wish I had siblings."

"Hey, you have me." She gives me a warm smile and gets up, " You might not get along with Devyn, but you always have me. My doors will always be open for you."

"Thank you, you're so sweet."

"Mr.Ackerman will be joining us for dinner today. So, tell Reggie to find you something to wear, okay?"

"Okay." With that she heads back inside. What's the worse that could happen to Devyn as a child? I don't get it. Did she have anger issues? Because I could understand that. But what was all of this mysteriousness surrounding her.

While passing by the family portrait once again, I noticed something familiar. As I looked closely I saw her father wearing a ring. It looked exactly like the ones I saw in books, in everything I studied. My heart races as I look down at my own ring. They were different, you could hardly tell that they had anything in common, but people like me knew. We knew what they meant. Stay calm, it's nothing. Sloane looked a lot like her dad and Riley looked more like a mix of both her mom and dad. Sage also looked more like her father, very authoritative. Devyn looked different. She had her mother's features, but not much from her father. Hints of her father's facial structure were present in all her sisters except hers. What was missing?

I make my way upstairs to the room they gave me and I hear chuckling, so I decide to check it out. Looking into the family room, I see Devyn rolling around on the floor with Zurro, their dog. Riley jumps on top of her too with a laugh.

"Let's make a fort!" She yells while she's still on top of her.

"As you wish." Devyn grabs her and lifts her up, while placing a kiss on her cheek. Zurro wags his tail as he looks up at them. Devyn gives him some playful pets; overcome with joy he knocks her over once again, and I can't help but smile. Seeing her like this, I would think this was a whole other person than the Devyn I met at school. Her hair flowed perfectly over her shoulders, and I suddenly had the urge to run my hand through it. Her laugh filled the room like sunshine and I wish I could trap it in something, so I could keep it forever. How stupid of me. I need to stop.

To be honest, she scared me. She scared me a lot. It's scary when I find myself admiring her beauty, her eyes, and her lips. It's scary when I think about her a second longer than I'm supposed to. It's scary when I do things without thinking around her. And most of all, it's scary that every time I see her, she moves every inch of me. I don't want to feel this way. I don't even know why I feel this way. Is it because she's royalty? Mysterious? Something I can't conquer? Maybe it's nothing and I'm overthinking everything. It should be nothing. It has to be nothing, for this feeling will cost me too much.

Focus, Andrea, focus. You've got bigger things to worry about.

I look at her once more and then leave for my room.