misunderstanding

ANDREA POV

AN HOUR AFTER ANDREA WAS ARRESTED

"What am I doing here, Sage?" I ask her as I'm handcuffed to a steel table.

"Isn't funny how you always end up in here? There must be some reason right?" She sits on the chair across from me.

"I swear, I have no idea what you're talking about." I plead.

She throws her head back slowly and takes a breath. With a flick of a finger she summons someone and they enter through a narrow door holding a file. That meant that we were being watched from the outside.

"Do you know what's in this?"

" Hello? Did you not hear a word I've said so far? I don't know."

She proceeds to open the file and takes out the documents, spreading them across the table.

"These are blueprints fro various different buildings in the citadel. This packet over here explains in thorough detail on how to make an illegal hand bomb. And it just keeps going, all this was found in your apartment."

I looked at the papers in disbelief. They weren't mine.

"I can explain."

"Oh, please do."

"I just need to make a call."

Her eyebrows shoot up and she crosses her arms over her chest.

"You know you only get one phone call, you really want to use it?"

"If it clears my name, yes I do."

"Get her a phone call."

"It's for Ashton. Ashton Donahue. Just let him know I'm here and that I want him here as quickly as possible. I don't know how to contact him at the moment, but I would appreciate if you could on my behalf."

We sit in silence for a few minutes, while the people behind the scenes worked to get a hold of Ashton.

"Ma'am, can I have a word with you? It's your little sister." Sage gets up and walks out of the door. Little sister? Was Devyn here?

After what felt like thirty minutes, she reappeared, taking her place on the chair again.

"It was Devyn." She says calmly.

"Was she here? Did she ask for me? Can I see her?"

"I don't think that's a good idea. She doesn't want to see you."

I laugh.

"What do you mean?"

"I'm just as confused as you. I thought she really felt strongly for you, I guess not."

My stomach churned and my jaw clenched.

"Was she here?"

"No, she sent Yaseer with her message. He came by."

"What was the message?"

"Look Andrea, Devyn has said that she would not like to see you anymore. It's all too much for her and she has so many responsibilities that she needs to take care. You're just more on her plate."

"She would never say that."

"I thought so too, but Yaseer is one of her most trusted allies. He wouldn't lie."

"Is this some kind of joke?" I still can't believe what was happening.

"Maybe she just realized how unreliable you are and finally came to her senses. Trust me, she's out of your league, you guys don't fit with each other. She's an Ackerman, while you're some random girl with no family at all. She doesn't need you as much as you need her. It's the truth."

I wanted to leap across the table and grab her throat, but doubt clouded my mind. If she was lying Devyn would have been here already. Like she always does. It's been hours and she's a no show.

Sage watches me realize slowly.

"Andrea, I've been around Devyn longer than you. You're not her first. There are so many yous throughout the years. With all the people she could possibly be with, why would she choose you? Come on. I've seen her go through many lovers, and none of them stay. She leaves them before they can leave her. Devyn, commitment, or even love, just don't go in the same sentence."

"Am I interrupting?" Ashton walks in as a guard escorts him. As he walks towards the table, he immediately realizes what the fuss was all about.

"Oh god, Andrea I'm so sorry. Get her out of those cuffs, now. Sage these are mine. I left them at her place, after my dad was arrested. I took some documents from his office because I was snooping around. I wanted to know more. I found them and I knew immediately that these papers were evidence against him. I wanted to turn them in but I hesitated, maybe it was the disbelief. When I finally made the decision to give them, they were already found by your men."

Sage looks at him and then back at me.

"And you're okay now with us using this as evidence?"

"He committed treason. Because of him so many lives were lost. I can't forgive him." Ashton looks over at me, his eyes held an apology.

"Can I leave now? You see?" I ask her. She pounds her fist on the table and gets up.

"This was very irresponsible of you Donahue. She could have been charged."

"I know, I apologize."

"And you, I'll still be watching you." She walks over to me and frees my hands. We walk out into the hallway as everyone stares.

"Come, let's get out." Ashton guides me out to the parking lot.

"Hey, I hate to ask, but can I get a ride?"

"Yeah, of course." We climb into the car.

"Drop you off at Devyn's?" He asks.

"Uh- no. She might be tired and asleep by now. Just my place will be fine."

"Okay."

I'm glad he doesn't say much after that because I was angry. How could Devyn just abandon me like that? She didn't even have the decency to say it to my face. God, I hated her so much right now. Was that look of concern on her face when Sage took me was real? Was anything ever real for her?

It didn't matter. Maybe Sage was right. We don't fit. I needed to focus on myself now and my future. But a part me still ached for her.

PRESENT TIME

Ashton drops me by my apartment building.

"Hey, Andrea can I ask you a question?"

"Yeah."

"There's the debutante ball coming up... and I was wondering if you'd like to come with me. And before you say anything, we would be going as friends. My mother really wants me to escort someone and I really don't want to be stuck with some random girl who talks about her dress all night. You would be doing me a favor."

"Sounds good to me."

"Seriously?"

"Yeah, I don't see why not."

"I mean, Dev will probably be there, so I thought you might go with her."

"She didn't ask."

"Okay then. If we see her there then maybe we could all just hang out."

"Yeah."

He waves goodbye and leaves me.