resist

ANDREA POV

"What the fuck was that?"

"What was what?" I say as I face plant onto my bed. Isabella sits upright on hers and gives me a stare that shakes me to the core.

"You literally had it. I know you missed on purpose."

"It's my life. my points. Why do you care? I'm fine with being second. Give me a break."

"Sorry that I wanted to see you at the top." She says in a hurt filled tone. She closes the lamp next to her and turns away in her bed.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean that."

"Whatever. Go to sleep. We have the ceremony to go to tomorrow."

Now all the fourth years will graduate out of Arden tomorrow. Everyone will see Devyn getting her medal. I couldn't wait to see the look on Mr.Ackerman's face when he has to see Devyn winning. Devyn deserves it.

Suddenly I hear some kind of ruckus outside. Checking to see if Isabella was asleep, I head downstairs. There's a crowd starting to form at the east end of the campus.

"You can't take him!"

"This is illegal!" People were shouting at officers who dressed in black uniforms, from their boots to their hats.

"Who are they?" I ask a girl who was standing next to me.

"They're called SPADE, they're an elite branch of the military. Recently, they've been plucking students off campus and taking them to black sites. Lord knows why or what they've been doing to them. Last week it was Ben, and right now they have Arturo sitting in that car over there. One of his friends saw them ambush him while he was trying to get to his dorm. He called in help from other students and we all came as quickly as we could before they could get away with him."

The students line up in front of the cars, not letting them pass. From one of the cars, a figure steps out. As they step into the light, I recognize who it is. Sage. She places her hands behind her back, with her feet shoulder width apart. You could tell from her stance that she was military, and meant business.

"Ms.Ackerman! Thank god! Tell them that this is illegal." Students start to shout at her. She looks around the crowd, like she was scanning each face. The shouts start to grow and she lifts one hand into the air and everyone goes silent.

"My name is Sage Ackerman. If you don't know who I am, just know that I'm the lady who runs all military business in this country. My family has been running this country for many decades. And I can assure you that we know what we are doing. We keep our civilians' well-being in mind with every decision we make. So, as of right now, for your own well-being, please step aside."

I can hear all the gasps that escape the crowd. All the students that had faces of pride and praise when Sage stepped out were not filled with anger and disappointment.

"Where are you taking him?" I ask.

"Step out." I do as she says and step towards her. She instantly recognizes me, but her facial expressions don't change.

"We all want to know why you're taking students. And where are you taking them?"

"State your name."

"You know who I am." I say with a half- eye roll, and Sage forms a sinister smirk.

"State your name."

"Andrea Ramos."

"Where are you from?"

"Why does that matter? We just want to know where you're taking Arturo. We have the right-"

"Don't talk to me about rights, Ramos. This is a matter of national security, and so we have to refrain from telling any information."

"Does it have to do with the attack?"

"All of you step aside, I insist."

"No." I move back to stand with the students, interlocking our arms. Sage fixes her posture and gives us all a nod.

"If you guys don't move, I will have to tell my officers, to detain you." After hearing that, some students step away, but we stand our ground.

Sage sees our resistance and turns away, heading back to her car.

"Officers." She signals something with her hand and they all step out of the van. Before we could do anything, they start to shove us away, and I shove back.

"Stop making trouble, or we will arrest you."

"Arrest me fucker." I say in anger, although I'm quite sure I didn't mean it. He took up the challenge and pinned me to the floor, handcuffing me.

"There. Happy now?"

By the end of the ordeal, me and a few other students were sitting in the back of the black van, handcuffed to the pole. An hour ago, I had just let Sage's sister win, the biggest thing in everyone's life, and now she's the one having me arrested. How amazing was that.