eavesdrop

ANDREA POV

"Are you nervous for your tests?"

"They're not until a few more weeks, we still have time." Devyn replies as we get out of her car and enter the school building.

"Devyn!" Sierra yells as she walks over.

"Hey, what's up?" Devyn says with a smile, but Sierra grabs her arm and leads her away from me.

"Sorry I need to borrow her for a moment." I watch them talk and it looks like they're arguing. I decide to walk towards my locker.

"How is the most beautiful girl at Arden doing today?" Ash hugs me from behind.

"Doing well. How's your car?"

"It's at the shop, it'll be all good in a few days. How was your ride with Dev, I know how she can get."

"She was fine, actually."

"Hmm. That's good. How's test practice going?"

"I think I've got it all down." We start to walk towards class.

"The academic part or the physical part?"

"Academics is easy. And I've shortened my mile time and everything else is pretty good too. Maybe I'm a little weak at shooting, but I'll still get points for everything else."

"Why don't you ask Dev to help? She's the best shooter I know. Maybe she can give you tips."

"Maybe." We stop in front of the classroom door.

"Well I'll see you later." He places a quick kiss on my forehead and leaves.

After class I bump into Iris in the hallway. She has changed her hair color from the last time I saw her, now it was a light blue.

"Have you seen Devyn around?" She asks.

"I saw her in the morning, but I'm not sure about now."

"I haven't talked to her since the wedding. We got into an argument."

"About?"

"Just us things. Can you tell her that I want to talk?"

"Yeah sure."

"Thanks."

Heading down to the second floor, I see Elijah Ackerman walk into the office. He was probably talking to the headmistress, but about what? I decide to eavesdrop by standing next to the door. I take out a book, acting like I was reading.

"You know what to do."

"But she's in the lead right now."

"I know. But that doesn't mean it's final." Mr.Ackerman replies.

"What are you trying to suggest?"

"You know best. Score her hard. Give her a faulty gun. Make sure she gets the hardest math test. I don't know. That's up to you."

"May I ask why? I don't see how this will benefit you."

"That's for me to know. Now this is an order. Andrea Ramos needs to come first. I don't care if Devyn has made it to the top right now. Make her second or even third."

My heart beats against my ribcage. Why would he want me to beat his own daughter? This makes no sense. I walk away quickly as he is about to open the door.