code yellow

DEVYN POV

I didn't know why I was so angry today. Did I even mean what I said? Everything just feels like a blur. Maybe it was because of the argument i had with my father. Now the whole class was staring at me after Andrea walked out. Looking toward Sierra, I saw that she was confused as to why I was acting out.

"You're going to go get her, right now." She says as she approaches me.

"No." She grabs my arm and leads me out of class.

"Go." I sigh because I know she's right. I lashed out for no reason.

"Fine." Searching the empty hallways, I find Andrea sitting on the floor by her locker.

"Hey, Ramos-"

"Leave me alone."

"Look, I- I didn't mean what I said."

"Then why say it?"

"I don't know okay?"

"You're probably only here to fix your 'perfect' reputation. You don't want anyone thinking you're a bad person."

"I never said that."

"Just go away. "

"Make me."

"You're not as perfect as you think."

" I know, you make sure to remind me of it."

"Don't turn this on me. Ever since I've set foot in this stupid school, you've had something against me."

"I have nothing against you."

"Then why do you things like what you did today? Why are you always so angry?"

"I'm not. I'm- I don't know." Giving up, I sit down next to her and stare at my feet.

"It's really not that hard to say sorry you know?"

"Why should I have to say sorry?"

"YOU SEE? That's your problem, you can't admit you're wrong." There's a crease between her eyebrows when she's angry, I almost smile while looking at it. A strand of her hair fell on to her ear. Angrily, she tucked it behind her ear again and got up. Just then, all the classroom doors started to bolt shut and an alarm went off.

"This is code yellow. I repeat this is code yellow." All the speakers in the halls echoed this message. This was not good. I grabbed Andrea's arm and tried to run to the nearest classroom, but it was already bolted shut.

"Dammit." I huffed.

"What's going on? Let go of my arm!"

"Shut up Ramos, now is not the time." I said a little too aggressively. Still holding on to her arm, I lead her down another empty hall. Out of the corner of the hall, a gunman in an orange jumpsuit turned into the hall. My breath got caught in my throat. Shit. Where were bodyguards when I needed them? I let go of my grip on Andrea's arm slowly. She looked at me with horror in her eyes, and I grabbed her hand.

"STOP RIGHT THERE OR I WILL SHOOT." He screamed from one end. I turned to Andrea and mouthed the word, RUN. At that moment, we turned and ran as fast as we could with gun shots firing in the back. One rang past my ear, and I felt Andrea squeeze my hand. I lead her to the first floor and pushed her into the nearest janitor's closet. There was hardly any room for us in there, but we had to fit. It was dark, but I could make out some of Andrea's features, she was facing me.

"DO YOU WANT TO TELL ME WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON?" I took my hand and put it over her mouth as quickly as I could, and backed her against the wall.

"SSSHHHHH." I whispered. I heard footsteps slowly approaching the closet, from what I could hear it was only one person. My hand was still covering her mouth, and when I noticed I removed it and whispered for her to stay quiet, she nodded in return. I was so close to her I could feel her body tremble. Finding her hand in the dark, I held it and gave it a firm, reassuring squeeze. The footsteps were getting closer and closer. I grabbed the nearest thing to me which was a mop, getting ready just in case I had to fight. The door knob turned slightly and I held my breath. Just as the door was about to open, another alarm went off, and I started to hear the sound of metal. The classroom doors. Why were they opening?