winners & losers

DEVYN POV

I watch them take off into different directions. Andrea ran at what looked like the speed of light, and I felt the sudden rush of adrenaline emerge; I liked a good challenge.

"You ready?" Ash says.

"You know me." I say with a smirk. After a few more seconds, he gives me the nod and I run into the forest. Every inch of the forest was familiar to me as I've been here many times. This part of the forest was a smalls trip compared to the one on the other side of the fence, we usually used this area to play games since we were kids.

I slowed my run into a walk, observing everything around me. With all the training I've gotten and my family's military background, this game was a piece of cake. With my abilities, I could find a needle in a hay stack in seconds.

I made my way towards the fence, looking for the cloth. Deciding to keep my distance, I stopped twenty feet away when I spotted the cloth. That meant no one made it back here yet. I climbed the tree next to me, to get a better look when something caught my eye. Sierra. She was hiding behind a bush, looking around with hesitancy and I smiled knowing that she wouldn't see me coming. Without making noise, I jumped down, getting closer to her. She must've heard me approach because she broke out into a run. Running after her, I pounced and we both fell.

"Okay, okay. You got me." She puts her hands up in surrender and I walk her back to our spot. I see that Iris is waiting there, meaning Ash had already found her.

"We could still win. We've got newbie, Gabe, and Brianna still out there!" I hear Sierra yell as I enter the forest once again.

As I enter, I close my eyes, and breathe in. Taking in every sound, every detail I could pick up, and dissecting it. I can hear faint sounds that seem to be coming from the East side so I decide to check it out. Trying to be as invisible as a shadow in the night, I hear the sounds getting louder. As I approach, I see Gabe, Brianna, and Ash laughing.

"You didn't have to push us so hard." Brianna says as she gets up.

"I see you've got two more." I say as I walk out of the darkness of the trees.

"Easy prey, they're always together. You look for one, and you find both." Ash says pridefully.

"Walk them back. I'll find the last one." I turn around.

"Good luck with that. She's fast." Gabe announces.

"I'm faster." I say with my back turned to them. Quietly, I walk back towards the fence, and this time the cloth was gone. She had it, that meant she was making her way back. Climbing my favorite tree again, I scanned the forest floor for any sign of her.

And then I spot her.

My lips curve into a smile as I head toward her direction. I watch her as she looks forward, with her back turned to me.

"Going somewhere, love?" Without a second thought she leaps into a run. Gabe was right she fast. Really fast. I wonder where she trained for her to be so physically fit, it was almost as if she'd grown here instead of District 5. I run after her taking all the shortcuts I knew. If she keeps running at her speed, we were eventually going to intersect. Running as fast as I could, I moved branches out of my way, tuning in to the sounds I was hearing. I knew she was close, but I couldn't hear her. That means she's good on her feet. As I approached the turn, I spotted her and I pounced, tackling her to the ground with a loud thump. Her chest moves up and down as she controls her breathing. I notice how she's not out of breath.

I'm on top her as she tries to squirm.

"You've lost."

"Get off me!"