say my name

DEVYN POV

"I was just having some fun." I say in defense.

"Fun?Are you okay? Good thing nobody else knows about this, what would they think?"

"That I'm crazy?"

"That you are. But why would slash Ash's tires. I could tell right away it was your doing."

"You've always had a good eye." I saw with a sly smile and she slaps my arm.

"What is going on with you?"

"Nothing. It was just a prank."

"Now his car is in the shop."

"That's too bad."

"Wait a minute... is this about Andrea?"

"Uh no."

"Why do I get the feeling that it is?" She crosses her arms over her chest.

"It's not."

"If you're doing this because you still have something for Ash, I am going to be mad."

At that, I burst out laughing.

"You are out of your mind. I love him, yes, but that's because he's my best friend. As for the tires... I was bored." She rolls her eyes and lets out a sigh.

"I don't know what I'm gonna do with you."

"Don't tell him though he might get mad."

"Well duh."

"Devyn." A deeper voice says from behind me. I turn around to see my father.

"Father, what are you doing here?"

"Hello, Mr.Ackerman. Good to see you." Sierra gives him a salute and runs away.

"I came to see my daughter."

"Mhmm."

"Come, walk me to my car." We walk into the parking lot.

"Look, I'm sorry about the other night. For what I said. I should have not reacted that way."

"No, no. I should have called you, after all you are part of the family."

"Yeah."

"You know, your sisters have always gotten first at Arden, and I expect the same for you."

"I know."

"You come first, and then I'll give you a title and some space in my will." He says with a smile. He pats my shoulder and gets in his car. I turn around and almost bump into Andrea.

"Whoa. We have to stop meeting like this." I say with a smirk.

"Trust me, I agree." That kinda hurt.

"Were you following me?"

"No.. Maybe."

"May I ask why?" She looks around and then looks down at her shoes.

"I want to ask if you'd help me with the shooting ranges."

"Hmmm let me think.... no." I start to walk away.

"Wait what? Why?"

"Because I can."

"Do you just like seeing me be miserable?"

"Maybe I do." I laugh. How could I tell her that I loved seeing her furrowed brows when she was mad. The way she gets all riled up and stutters. The way her forehead is tense from all the pressure. I loved it.

"Asshole."

"You want to go right now?" I suggest.

"But I have class."

"Now or never, love...." I show her my car keys.

"Ugh, fine. Let's go." I grab her hand, and we run to my car. I start it and start to drive away.

"By the way, your girlfriend wants to talk to you." She says while looking out of the window.

"Oh really? Which one?" I tease.

"Iris the virus."

"I see."

"Are you guys still..-"

"I don't know. It's on and off. Just like every relationship in my life.I think I'll probably die single."

"If you say so."

"Damn, no words of positivity or support?"

"What can I say? You already think so low of yourself."

"Do I?"

"Okay, name one thing you like about yourself."

"I.... like my name."

"Really? Be real." I am real. I a so real. Ever since she has said my name, I've fallen in love with it. I like the way she says it. I like the fact that my name is closer to her than I'll ever be. It's on her mind, on her tongue.

"I like how strong I am."

"You know what I think?"

"What?"

"I think that a lot of the time, people have treated you like an option. They take you for granted. Not many people have shown you genuine love and care, but have always wanted something in return if they do. I think that you think you're not deserving of love. But you are. You just don't take chances anymore because of all the disappointment around the relationships you already have. Not everything has to turn out like that. Sometimes you can create something new, something beautiful, something that stays."

"That stays? You have to be living on cloud 9. There's our gun range."

She opens her mouth to say something but I hop out of the car before she can. I clench my jaw and my fists for a second and then I breathe. I know she's right.

"Come this way." I lead her in. We get our gear and equipment and head to our section.