humble abode

ANDREA POV

I sit across from Devyn as I watch her peer out of the car window. She was nervous. Today we were driving to her new office in District 4. She was the chief minister was district's four and five now. I found it funny how families like the Ackerman's could just gift whole districts to their children to lead. Did they ever think about the people ever? I know Devyn is different, I can see it in her eyes, but sometimes I think about how her father corrupts her. How her need to prove herself to him drives her actions. Will she be able to choose the right thing over her father? Can she be the person who makes Orien a better country? I shake away the thoughts as I take her hands in mine.

"Are you okay?" I ask.

"I good, as long as you're here with me." She rests her head on my shoulder.

"Funny how you made me your bodyguard." I say with a laugh.

" Well they wouldn't let you travel with just because. I tried to tell them that you were my partner.. but they only let engaged or married partners stay with you. So I told them that you were my very trusted bodyguard."

"I mean you're not wrong, I'm probably more skilled than all your previous ones."

"Skilled in what ways."

"There's just so many." I grab her neck as I kiss her.

The car comes to an abrupt stop.

"What happened?" Devyn asks Reggie who was driving the car.

"There's a mob up front that won't let the cars pass. The first two cars in front of us are stuck. We can't move until they do."

Devyn sighs in frustration and sits back with her arms crossed over her chest.

"Come with me." I tell her as I grab her hand and lead her out of the car.

In the near distance the people in the mob have started chanting and throwing food onto the cars.

"Where are we going?" Devyn asks as I lead her into a narrow ally.

"Look, I don't know anything about leadership, aside from what learned at Arden. But I do know District 5. This place isn't like where you grew up. The people here have lived through struggle and still are. Because of the Rahl's and Rune's who do you think is being the most effected?"

"Uhhh-"

"It's them. There's literal starvation out here, so don't surprised when there's mobs hovering around your trucks and cars. They don't like your monarchy, because you guys haven't shown any kind of care towards them. Do you get what I'm saying?"

"Yeah I do. It's unfortunate, but I'm here to change all of it." We stop in a corner. I look around to see if there was anyone following us. I grab the clothes hanging on a clothing line.

"Change into these now." I demand. Devyn looks at me, confused at first, but then changes into the t-shirt and torn jeans I give her. I take her uniform from her and throw it in the nearby bin.

"What you do that for! That one was one of my good ones!" Devyn protests.

"Dev, right now you need to try and see how these people live and act. And to do that, you need to be one of them."

"I know." We walk towards the bustling square where there were many markets and shops. Some people were walking around shopping while some were arguing over bargaining prices. Little kids ran around barefoot playing with tires and sticks, watching it roll down the brick roads.

"They've got posters of her everywhere..." Devyn says in awe as she stares at the walls of the buildings and shops, even houses.

"Is that Sloane?" I ask.