into the night

ANDREA POV

"You're late." The man says as he leans against the other side of the wall. It's dark and I can't make out his face, but I think I have a pretty good guess as to who it was.

"I got caught up."

"Ahh, with your.. girlfriend."

"Just tell me why you're here."

"They think you're becoming distracted."

"How so?"

"Beats me. I just know that they're always watching. They want you to focus on your goal. And you already know the consequences if you don't."

"I know. Is that it?"

"Don't let emotions get in your way." He walks away into the night.

I make my way into my apartment. Looking around the place, it made me miss Devyn's room. At the Ackerman house, I sensed tension so I decided to leave yesterday. Before I left, I heard Mr.Ackerman yelling at Sloane, because she stormed out of the house. Letting out a sigh, I flopped onto the couch, when I heard my doorbell ring. Who would come here this late at night? I cautiously open the door.

"Ash?" I have no idea what else to say.

"Hey, can I come in?" He fidgets and looks around the hallway like someone was following.

"Yeah, come in." After he enters I take a look outside to see if anyone was there and then I lock the door.

"What are you-"

"Can I have some water?" His voice is shaky.

"Of course." I make him sit on the couch while I fetch some water. After giving him the water, I grab a chair and sit across from him.

"What is it? Are you okay?" I ask with concern.

"Sorry, I know it's so late. This was the closest place I could think of. I know shouldn't have crashed on you like this."

"No, it's fine. I'm glad you're here. You're safe."

"None of us are safe." He says in a lower voice.

"What? What do you mean?"

"Nothing. I'm just shaken up, that's all."

"It's okay. You can come here anytime."

"Thanks. Have you talked to Devyn at all?"

"Um, yeah. I guess I should tell you that me and her are kind of.. together?"

"It's called dating." He says with a laugh.

"Yeah, I guess we're dating."

"I figured."

"Look, I'm sorry for everything I've done to hurt you. It was never my intention. I wish I was smarter with my decisions. You're amazing, I hope you know that."

"Yeah, it did hurt, but I think I'm over it now. And I know I'm great."

"That's good."

"How is Devyn?"

"She's good. It's been crazy for her lately, you know, because of royal family stuff."

"I see."

"Why don't you go see her?"

"I don't know. Whatever. Maybe. Anyways, have heard about the Runes? It's crazy, I never thought I would live to see Runes attacking again. The last time this happened was when the Great War took place. And also going to war with the Rahls-"

"Have they confirmed it?"

"I don't know. But a lot of my military buddies have been called in and we even have a curfew now."