all in the eyes

ANDREA POV

It's been two weeks since I stayed at Devyn's place. After I left, I headed over to Ash's. I met his parents and they were just as sweet as him. I sit in my dorm room clutching my pillow in bed. As I close my eyes, my mind shows me a flashback of the past week. The montage of memories was filled with Ash and his laugh, his touch, his arms, his kiss, and everything about him.

Once we were alone in his room one day, he asked me to be his girlfriend again.

"I really like you." He ended his sentence and looked at me. His eyes were filled with sincerity, and suddenly I was worried he might not see the same in mine.

"I'd like to be your girlfriend, okay?" His face lit up with joy and he lifted me off the chair, swinging me around. Every thought that was coming into my head, I blocked away because this is what I was supposed to do. Ash was good, he was kind, he was everything anyone would ever want. This is what I should want. I melt into his kiss as his hand rests on my cheek. Suddenly things get heated and his shirt is off, as my hand traces his abs. With the blink of an eye, my shirt is no where to be seen either. While he kisses me, he fumbles with his belt buckles and finally gets his pants off, and my breath gets caught in my throat.

"Ashton?!!" I hear his mother yelling. He groans as he hovers on top of me.

"It's okay, go." I give him a smile.

"Sorry, babe." He leans over to plant a kiss on my cheek, and races out of the room while putting his clothes back on.

Now sitting in my dorm, I can't help but think if I made the right decision. I don't want to hurt him, he's been so good to me, but I just can't understand why I don't feel what he feels. I want to so bad, but I can't.

"Thinking about him again?" Isabella questions.

"I've had a long past couple of weeks, you know."

"I know. Sorry I wasn't there with you. I should've gone to that trip with you guys. Is it true, that you saved Devyn?"

"I don't know, you know how rumors are. They over exaggerate."

"Was she grateful at least?" My mind wanders off to the night in the garden with Devyn.

"Yeah she was."

"Better be. Rich, stuck-up people like her always need to be humbled once in a while."

"She's not that bad." I say as I remember what she shared with me. Her reason for not swimming.

"She's not- what? Are you okay? Did you hit your head?"

"I'm good. She's good. It's all good."

"Hmmm. So how was the palace like?"

"It was nice, I didn't get to see much but what I did was nice."

"Lucky you."

"Her sisters were really sweet."

"You didn't tell me about them!" She sits on my bed with a plop.

"Sloane is her older sister and she has a younger one named Riley, both of them so sweet."

"I see."

"Oh, also I'm invited to Sloane's wedding this weekend."

"No way!"

"Mhmm."

"So you're going with Ashton?" I hope she didn't notice the change in my emotion when she took his name.

"Uh- yeah. I think."

"You guys are so cute. Ugh, I wish I could find me a cutie like him."

"You will."

"Come let'd get changed for school. I'm so not ready for my stupid math class though. And I have to be at the gun range today."

"Okay, then. Chop, chop." We change our clothes and head out, towards the school.

As we approach the building, a black car pulls up in front of the entrance. Devyn.

She steps out of the car, with her back pack on one of her shoulders. I don't realize I'm staring until Isabella waves a hand in front of my face.

"Where'd you get lost?"

"Oh- I was just wondering why Devyn was wearing those sunglasses. The sun isn't even out."

"Maybe it's like a signature look thing."

"I doubt that."

"Well, just go ask her. Aren't you two friends now."

"I wouldn't call us friends just yet." I walk over to my locker to get my books.

"See you after school!" Isabella says as she walks into the crowded hall. As I look to my right, a few lockers down is Devyn. Should I talk to her?I mean I could try right? I'm just trying to see how she is, nothing else.

"What's with the ridiculous glasses?" I say as I walk up to her.

"What's with the ridiculous face?" She says in a cold tone as she closes her locker, and leans against the wall.

"I think those glasses are making it hard for you to see."

"Do you think I care? Why are you even talking to me? Don't you have to be in class debating or something?" She takes out a cigarette and puts it into her mouth.

"You can't smoke in here." I reply with my arms crossed over my chest.

"Who said I was?" She gives me a wink and my stomach turns.

"About what you told me last time-"

"Let's not talk about it."

"I think we should."

"I don't care."

"Do you care about anything?" Her head tilts up as I finish my question.

"Maybe."

"That's really hard to believe."

"And it's hard to believe that you care about Ash, the way he cares about you." My jaws clench.

"You've got it wrong. He's my boyfriend. An amazing boyfriend, as a matter of fact."

"And what about you, are you a good girlfriend?" A smile appears on her face, I know she was enjoying my discomfort.

"I am. Better than you." She cringes at my response.

"I don't do girlfriends."

"I know. You're too scared."

"Me? Are you sure?" She takes a step closer to me.

"Oh I'm sure, that's why you don't show people your eyes. You wear these sunglasses all day, because you know it's all in the eyes, I wonder why Iris hasn't read into yours yet. She'd learn the truth real quick."

"Really?" She takes another step towards me and now she's inches away from my face. She takes off her glasses to reveal a bruise on her left eye.

"Read them." She says as she stares into my eyes.

"I- I, you're crazy." I break the eye contact and start to walk away.

"Do you want to borrow them? In case you meet Ash?" She yells behind me.

"Bye." I make sure that she can see my middle finger and I hear her let out a little laugh.

"You're lying! I can tell! You're not the only one who can read." Every-time I feel like Devyn is okay, she makes me so mad, that I want to strangle her. Who is she to tell me that I didn't like my own boyfriend. She riles up everything inside me, and manages to get on every one of my nerves.

But what had happened to her eye? Who could have done such a thing? What about the whole story of being tied and thrown into water? She was a riddle. A riddle that has you frustrated and outraged, but you keep wanting to solve.