confusion

DEVYN POV

"Devyn! Slow down." Ash jogs over to me as I walk towards my car.

"Leave me alone."

"If you think there's anything between me and Andrea, you're wrong. I'm the one who came to her, and it was about something important, and I was being followed-"

"Okay. I get it."

"Do you? Because it seems like you're still mad for something that didn't happen."

"I'm not mad, maybe annoyed. I just didn't think to see you at my girlfriend's apartment, in her bed, the first thing in the morning."

"I understand. I'm sorry. She slept on the couch. I wouldn't have come to her if she wasn't close."

"It's fine, I'm just overreacting." I say with a long sigh.

"Is everything okay?"

"There is so much going on right now. Everything feels like it's falling apart."

"Yeah, me too."

"So what was so important that you had to stay at Andrea's place?"

"It's- it's nothing. I should get going."

"Look, I know I fucked up things between us, but trust me when I say that I am always here for you." I tell him as he gives me a small smile.

"Thanks Dev."

He walks away and disappears onto the busy street. I unlock my car, opening the car door.

"So you were just going to leave like that?" Andrea walks to the open door.

"I just wanted to come by and give you flowers, to make up for all the family drama I put you through."

"And what about Ashton?"

"That was just me being crabby. I guess I was irritated by my father and Sloane fighting, and I took it out on you. I'm sorry."

"It's okay. I'm sorry too, I should have told you about Ashton."

"I trust you. Is everything okay with him?"

"I don't think it's for me to say."

I nod silently.

"Well what are you up to today?" She asks as she climbs into the passenger seat.

"I have a bunch of meetings to go to. My father wants me to start taking my role in the family more seriously."

"Sounds fun. Do you want me to accompany you?"

"I would love that, but I would have to smuggle you into all the buildings. They won't let you in."

"Damn."

After we grabbed breakfast at a diner, I dropped her off at Isabella's. I had to make my way to the military fort in District 2. After an hour I pulled up by the fort's gate.

"I need to see your ID." The security guard in the booth declares. I smile and take out my ID card. I hold it out of my car window as he grabs it. I watch his face change from confident to shocked, maybe even scared.

"Ms.Ackerman- I'm, why don't you step out of your car. I'll take care of it."

"It's fine, don't worry about it."

"No, no. You drove here yourself? Where are your escorts?"

"I don't like to have escorts. Draws too much attention."

He opens the gate and I drive inside, parking with the other cars. Soldiers run to the car and open the door for me.

"Thank you." As I step out, the soldiers stand in a line and give me a salute.