2AM spies

ANDREA POV

We climb back into her car and head back towards the citadel. I liked Devyn like this, she was opening up more.

" So do you ever get to make decisions and stuff because you're royalty?" I ask and I'm genuinely curious.

"Like what?"

"Like knowing military secrets or sitting with your father during important meetings." I watch as Devyn nods slowly.

"Yeah, pretty much. He likes to drag me into everything even though I'm his least favorite."

"And why is that?" All the facial expressions on her face is wiped clean. She stares ahead on the road and bites her lip.

"Sorry, I should stop being so nosy." I say.

"No- no it's fine. It's just that a lot of the things that revolve around my father are a sensitive topic for me."

"I understand. Sorry." Devyn takes a long pause and then breaks the silence.

"If I trust you to tell you something, you promise you won't tell anyone?" My ears perk up at this.

"Of course, although I don't know why you would share anything with me-"

" We're friend snow, and I like you, you're cool. I think that we understand each other in some weird way, don't you think?" She's right, I know she's right. Around her I feel at peace and comfort that I don't feel around anyone.

"Yeah."

"It feels like we have this... connection. And before you say anything, no, I'm not talking about a romantic way. It's different." I laugh at that.

"I think I feel that too." Devyn takes her eyes off the road to look at me and her eyes sparkle.

"Thanks.Now I don't feel paranoid."

"You were saying..?"

"He's not my father."

"Who?"

"Elijah, he's not my father." I hope she couldn't see my mouth wide open.

"How-"

"He's my step-father."

"Whoa." I let my self rest against the seat to take in what she just told me. This is sensitive information, why is she telling me this?

"You can't tell anyone, okay?"

"I won't."

"Thank you. But now you know why things are complicated."

"So, if you don't mind me asking, your other siblings..."

"All my sisters are his daughters, just not me. My mother had Sage and Sloane with Elijah. She had me with... I don't even know. And then Elijah and my mother had Riley."

"I had no idea."

"Yeah, and Elijah just takes out all the anger that he had for my mother, out on me."

"That's unfair."

"Sometimes I just feel so lost and left out."

Devyn looks hurt so I reach out my hand and grab her hand. I wanted to let her know that I was going to be there for her.

"I feel that too. After my parents died, I was raised by my uncle. I'm always grateful for him, but sometimes I feel like he treats me like... a tool? Like an option?" I never liked talking about my family either, but because Dev was telling me things and trusting me, I thought that I should let myself trust her too.