speech

DEVYN POV

I loosen the button around my collar, because I feel so hot. The building is filled with all fourth years sitting in their designated seats. My jacket is filled with badges and medals that I've won over the years, and my family's crest. Looking over to the guests side, I see Sloane and Riley chattering away. I wonder where Sage was. My Father was busy getting situated on stage because he was invited to the award ceremony. Funny how he would be handing me the medal that he'd been harassing me to get all these years. I feel someone tap on my shoulder from the row behind me.

"You clean up real nice." It's Iris, she's in the same jacket as everyone else, with the lights making her medals glisten.

"Thank you."

"Hey, I'm proud of you. I really am, you deserve this." She gives my shoulder a squeeze.

"I'm proud of you too. Can't believe we can finally be out of this place." I know I should be happy, but knowing that Andrea should have won is eating me away. Speaking of Andrea, I had seen no sign of her.

The award ceremony starts as the graduates take the stage one by one as their names are called. I reach into my pocket to see if the speech I wrote was still in there.

"And now, we'd like to call up, our nation's pride and joy, Arden's class topper... Devyn Ackerman." Standing up, I pat down my suit and button it.

"That's my sister!" I smile as I see that both Sloane and Riley are screaming at the top of their lungs while standing. A few students give standing ovation as well and I nod in appreciation.

"Thank you. Thank you so much." I say as I get up on stage. First I shake the headmistress' hand and she hands me an award. Then there's people in suits that hand me flowers and a plaque. My father is the last one. I bend my head a little so he could put the medal around my neck. Before I could go in for a hug, he takes out his hand, so I shake it.

Placing the things in my hand on the table, I make my way to the podium.

"Thank you so much everyone. I would not be here without the support from everyone in my life. My sisters, my friends, my teachers, have all taught me so much these past few years, and I am forever grateful. You know, I had a whole speech ready, " I say as I show everyone the piece of paper, " But I think I'm just not going to use it. I've never been good with words anyways, but I do want to dedicate this to my amazing friend Brianna, who we lost. She was always kind, no matter what. As for all of us, I'm proud of each and every one of us. We have come a long way, but we have reached our destination. There have been so many obstacles and adversity this year, but we still made it."

Out of the corner of my eye, I see Andrea enter the auditorium. She walks quickly over to her seat.

"I hope we all make good choices in the future. I hope that everyone can forgive me if I've ever hurt you in any way these past few years." I make sure to look over at Ashton, but he just gives an empty stare back. I talk some more, trying to be inspiring and uplifting and everyone applauds after. Music starts to play as everyone starts to get up and move around to mingle with the guests. From the stage, I look around the crowd to find Andrea. I see her walking towards the exit, so I hurry after her.

"Sorry- excuse me, sorry." I make it across the auditorium floor to the exit. I look around and finally spot Andrea walking away from the building and I jog over to her. The clouds rumble as I catch up to her. Grabbing her hand I pull her back, and she's taken by surprise.

"Whoa there." She manages to say.

"Why are you out here, it's going to rain."

"I was just leaving." She explains as she holds on to the wrist I just pulled.

"Did I pull it too hard?" I ask because she looks like she's in pain.

"No. It's nothing." She hides her arm, and now I'm curious. I grab her arms and roll up her sleeves just a bit to see her wrists. They looked bruised.

"What- what happened?"

"Nothing, I said."

"It's clearly something. Did you get any sleep at night, your eyes look like hell."

"Just stop with the questions. I've already been interrogated all night."

My jaw clenches at the thought of that.

"By who? Who was it? Who did this to you?" Rages leaks into my tone.

"I was just at a protest thing, and I was being stupid. This is what I get for playing hero." She says with an unconvincing laugh.

"Was it the police? Military? Ops?"

"Can we drop this?" She pleads.

"No."

"Let's talk about how you just came on top. That's amazing, congratulations."

"Stop, don't say it. Especially not you. Do you take me for a fool?"

"Sometimes... why?"

"I know you could have beat me. Why'd you miss? You never miss."

"So that's what this is about? I missed, okay? That's it. I know you want the world to revolve around you, but it doesn't."

Lightning cracks through the sky as rain starts to pour.

"Why'd you do it?"

She stares at me, waiting for me to give up and be satisfied with her lie. I watch as the rain trickles down her face.

"You needed it more than me."

"I didn't. Not like this."

"Well what's done is done." She turns around to walk away again.

"I don't get you!" I yell and she stops.

"What?"

"I hate how you just act like nothing happened. I hate how you just let me win. I hate the way you look at me. Why do you care one day, and then feel nothing the next?"

"I've never said anything, okay? You've just created something in your head."

"So this is all just me? You kissing me was just me too?"

"Forget it."

"Fine. Just tell me that you've never felt anything for me, and I'll leave."

She sighs and looks at the ground while biting her bottom lip. I'm soaked and I don't know how much longer I can take this. Her silence was enough for me.

"Congratulations, Andrea." I tell her as I walk away back towards the building.