summoner ring

DEVYN POV

I walk into my father's office to find Sage already sitting with him.

"I didn't think you'd be back home today." Father says as he looks up from his document.

"Me and Andrea were out and got late so we thought we'd just crash here."

"Andrea...? The one-"

"Yeah the one who came over before."

"I see. Well, sit down." He points to a chair. As I sit, Sloane walks into the room as well.

"What did I miss?" She says.

"Just that Dev here has the worst friend choices." Sage replies while still reading. We all look at her and she doesn't budge.

"What do you mean?" I ask in confusion.

"This Andrea girl... how much do you know about her?" She closes her book to stare at me.

"I know enough to know that she's a good person. She's a good friend."

"Hmph, even the devil was once an angel."

"What do you even want?"

"I looked her up using our databases, there is no trace of her." This catches my father's attention as he raises his eyebrow.

"So? She told me her parents died-"

"How'd the die?"

"I- I don't know." I stammered.

"Where did she go to school before Arden? How is she so highly skilled? She's beat every Arden student so far-even you."

"Sage, relax," Sloane butts in, " Maybe she just wasn't accounted for. Her family could have been refugees or something. Stop being so uptight."

"I just want her to be careful. Things are not looking good for us. We need to be on high alert."

"What does that have to do with my friends?" I ask.

"Enough of this nonsense." Father interrupts.

"Sorry, father." Sage replies.

Father walks over to the map table and calls us over.

"There have been an increase in Rune attacks. Civilians are having trouble tending their farm animals because they keep going missing. The Rahls have been threatening to start another war. They've closed the northern pass. The pass that we both agreed to leave open for mutual benefit. So no aid, supplies, and trade will be coming in from the North."

"Why would they do that? And why can't we just send military down there to take it back?" I ask.

"The only reason they've gotten confident with their attacks is because of the Runes. We're getting double teamed here." Sage explains.

"There's revolution stirring between the districts as well. People are not happy with the government." Sloane adds.

"We've won against both the Rahls and the Runes before, why are we so stressed now?"

"That's when we were stronger, we barely had enemies. Those were the times of the summoners. Now, everyone wants a piece of us."

"Well, maybe you shouldn't have made so many enemies."

Everyone looks at me with an annoyed look.

"Sorry."

"The thing is, I don't want you guys fooling around anymore. Anything can happen at any moment. You all need to fulfill your duties as members of this family. Be role models, be leaders, be my daughters."