black on black

ANDREA POV

"God, you know I don't feel so good about going to the dance." I say as Bella makes me sit in front of the mirror.

"Shhh. It's going to be fun. Relax, and let me glam you up. I'm so excited for you eeee."

"I don't even know Ashton like that. I only have one class with him."

"Do you think he's cute?"

"He is, but like-"

"You see! You just have to get to know him." Rolling my eyes, I let her start to apply makeup on me and fix my hair. She straightened the waves in my hair and pinned it in the back.

"Wow. You look so hot. Ashton is going to be all over you." My stomach churned at the thought.

"I hope not."

"Girl, you only live once, have some fun."

"Who are you going with again?"

"I'm going with Michael. You remember him from our gun range sessions?"

"Ohhh right, yeah I remember." I tried to imagine me and Ashton walking in together with my hand on his arm. As I got lost in my day dream, I thought about him dancing with me to a slow song. My head on his chest, but as I step back to look up at him, it's Devyn's face and she smiles at me. I break out of my trance and abruptly stood up from my chair.

"What happened to you?" Bella gave me a confused look.

"N-Nothing. I'm gonna go change." I grabbed my dress and headed to the changing room. There was a big mirror that covered one wall. As I got into my dress I checked myself out in the mirror. The slit in the black dress allowed my leg to be exposed, and it let my shoulders shine. Admiring myself, I realized that I did look hot, even fierce.

"Feeling yourself?" Bella asks walking in.

"Yeah, I look so good, thanks to you." I give her a hug.

"Me and Michael are matching with red, how does it look?" She twirled in her red dress.

"You truly look gorgeous."

"Well, now that we're done here, let's wait downstairs for our dates." We locked our room and grabbed what we needed.

As we entered the lobby, I saw Ashton waiting nervously. I smiled at his jitteriness.

"Are you waiting for me?" I say as I tap him on the shoulder.

"Ah, yes. I was-" His jaw looked like it would drop to the floor.

"What is it?"

"You are- I mean you - you look beautiful."

"You clean up well yourself." I say with a playful smile.

"Shall we?" He offers me his arm, and my stomach flips as it reminds me of my dream of Devyn. I quickly shut it off in my head. What was wrong with me? He leads me to a black car, as we get closer I see that the seats in the back are full; it's Brianna and Gabe. I sit in the passenger seat as Ashton sits behind the wheel. Taking a moment to look at Ashton, I realize that he's wearing a white suit with his hair slicked back. He looked good, I had to admit. Before we could drive away I saw Isabella run to me.

"I'll meet you there okay? Be safe!"

"Bye." We drive off into the night. It's silent for the first five minutes of our ride then I hear Brianna clear her throat.

"Soooo, Andrea how's it going?"

"It's going well."

"So what possessed you to go with Ashton." Gabe and Brianna both laugh.

"He asked nicely." I say as I look at him and he gives me a wink.

"You might not want to be around him when he gets drunk," Gabe says, " last year he spilled booze all over Devyn-"

"Shut up." Brianna nudges him. Smiling to myself I wondered where Devyn was.

"Are your other friends coming too?"

"You mean Sierra and Devyn? Sierra is going to be there with Jacob, I'm not sure about Devyn though, she-" Brianna cuts off Gabe again and this time elbows him harder.

"You talk too much." She says.

"I like you too much." With that, they kiss.

"Knock it off you too." Ashton yells. He pulls up to a parking lot in front of a big building. There's students entering the building in their suits and dresses. I feel panicked for a second because I don't know how I'll be able to find Isabella in this big of a crowd. From across the parking lot I see a luxurious car enter into a parking space.

"Hey look dev is here!" Brianna exclaimed. She runs over to her to give her a hug, something in me wants to do the same.

"While they waste time, do you want to go in?" I turn away from Devyn's direction to see Ashton.

"Yeah let's go." As we enter, a wave of humidity hits me. There's loud music and teens dancing everywhere. We grab a table to sit on for the time being.

"Tell me a little about yourself."

"Well, I transferred to Arden with a scholarship."

"Mhmm, but what do you like to do for fun?"

"I- hmm I like to paint."

"Paint?" He laughs and it takes me by surprise.

"I don't remember saying a joke."

"Yeah no sorry. I just hardly ever hear about people painting."

"What about you?"

"I like to go on fishing trips or play sports." This time I let out a laugh and he lift his eyebrow.

"Who goes fishing?"

"Fine, fine. But you are very gorgeous, and I just had to get to know you."

"Thank you-" My eyes wandered towards the door where I see Devyn walking in. She's in a monochrome black suit with her hair down. I wonder why she was wearing sunglasses in the building, but then I noticed something else when she picked up a glass from a waiter. Her knuckles. Her hands look obliterated; looked like a car drove over them. At that moment there was nothing more I wanted to do than go to her, and hold her hands. I fought this stupid urge and looked at Ashton. To my surprise he looked like he was drooling over her. I guess she really was irresistible. Devyn spotted us and started to walk towards our table, and my stomach did a hundred summersaults in ten seconds.

"You two look good, I like the black and white combo." She teases.

"Thanks, dev. You look- you look great. Are you here with someone." Ashton replied.

"Just me, myself and I. Just the way I like it." She turns to look at me but I can't quite find her eyes because of the stupid sunglasses.

"Well me and Ashton were just about to go dance." I get up and grab Ashton to walk towards the dance floor. In the crowd I found Isabella with Michael, they were all over each other. The upbeat song suddenly changed to a slower one and everyone let out a collective groan. Ashton held my hand and guided it and placed it on his shoulder, while his other hand settled on my waist. I was so close to him that I could smell his husky cologne. I spun around and he caught me, giving me a warm smile. We then went back into position and kept rocking back and forth. I let my head rest on his chest, listening to his heartbeat.

I didn't dare look up at him. Not even once. I was scared that I'd see his face, and not Devyn's.