surprise!

DEVYN POV

"Oh my god, I'm so glad you guys are okay!" Sloane jogs over to us as we file out of the car. She grabs both me and Andrea into a tight hug. Medical personnel rush over to the kids as they're ushered inside. Sage doesn't follow them and turns around to face us.

"Andrea, I have no idea what I would do if you weren't there today. I want to thank you for your actions and bravery. You saved my child, and I will forever be indebted." She hols out her hand and Andrea shakes it.

"I don't know what you think of me, but I would never think twice when there's a child's life on the line. More importantly, they're very dear to Devyn, and anything important to her, is important to me too." She looks at me and gives me a tired smile. I hold her hand and give it a squeeze and I realize how cold she is.

"I love you two!" Sloane exclaims excitedly.

"I'm really loving this bonding moment, but Andrea is freezing, I'm gonna get her inside." I say as I lead her inside.

"Sloane, do you mind watching the kids for a bit? I have a mission to look after." Sage asks as we all enter the house.

"Yeah of course, but don't you think you should be here with them?"

"I know, I want to be here. But I've been called to duty. There's been continuous Rune attacks in a few districts. Our military is having a hard time keeping them outside of the border."

"Why is everything happening at once?" Sloane sighs.

"Tell them I love them, and that I will be back." Sage gives us all a nod and walks back out.

"Why don't you two go get changed, and then we can all eat?"

"Sounds good."

We enter my room and I remove the jacket from Andrea's shoulders and her teeth start to chatter.

"I literally can't feel my fingers or my toes."

"I think you need a nice hot bath. I'm gonna go arrange that for you." I run into the bathroom and turn on the water.

"Let's get you out of these clothes." I help her unbutton her wet clothes. Leading her into the bathroom, I make sure she gets into the bathtub.

"I'm gonna be in the shower if you need me.I'll be quick." She nods as her eyes are closed.

I get into the shower, and I'm relieved to wash off the day. Why was this turning out to be the worst and the best year of my life? Meeting Andrea was the best thing that's ever happened to me, but the Runes turning up out of no where and the Rahl's being so close to starting war has been the worst. The direct attack on Sage's kids will leave my Father angry, and I know he will retaliate. How will we ever manage to fight two wars? I finish up and head out.

"Are you finished up?" I ask Andrea.

"Yeah." I help her out and wrap her in a warm towel.

"I hope you like my clothes, because that's all we have." I lead her into my closet and give her a seat.

"Any preferences?" I ask as I walk around pointing at all the sides.

"Anything comfortable."

"Coming right up." Running over to the sweaters, I find my favorite one and show it to her.

She laughs," That's the ugliest sweater ever."

"Hey, I love it. Everyone calls it ugly, but that's the best part about it."

"I would like to object."

"Hmm, I don't think you have the strength to fight me."

"Oh, you'd be surprised."

"I like surprises." I say as I walk towards her.

"Come here." She smiles as I stand over her. Grabbing my collar she pulls me down, so I bend to be face to face with her.

"Sometimes... I just wanna squeeze you." She scrunches her face and I laugh. I lean in and kiss her, and I'm surprised as to how soft her lips feel, I feel like I could melt away. As I'm distracted in kissing her, she trips up my leg, sending me flying to the floor.

"Ow-"

She pins me down and slowly makes her way on top of me.

"Haven't you learned? Never let your guard down."

"If having my guard down gets me this, I'm fine with that." I can see her blush a little as her ears turn pink.

"Shut up."

"I would, but I need to point out that you are indeed in a towel. You're putting a lot of faith into it. What if it just slips..-" I playfully tug at it and she slaps away my hand.

"You are crazy." She laughs as she throws her head back, and I swear at that moment I would do anything to see her smile like that all the time. She had the kind of smile that could end wars.

" Crazy about you." I say as I sit up, while she's still in my lap. She moves my hair out of my face and lets her hands cup my face.

"I wanted to thank you for today, too. You are so fucking crazy, you scared me, but you saved Reece."

"You don't have to thank me."

"But I do."

"I'd do it again. I know how much your family means to you. That's what I love about you, how much you care for everyone, your loyalty."

"What did I do to deserve you?" I say with a laugh.

"I can ask the same thing."

I fucking love you. I want to tell her but the words get stuck in my throat, but it's almost like she can read my eyes, because she pulls me into a tight hug.

As she pulls away, I kiss her clavicle, slowly going up her neck.

"I did not see anything." Riley says as she enters and immediately turns around in the door way.

Andrea gets up in a hurry and takes the clothes to change into.

"It's fine you can turn around."

"The door was open, and I heard about today, and I just wanted to see you." She walks over to me and gives me a hug.

"And how are you?" I ask.

"I'm good. Things have been changing right? I can't go out anymore according to Father. I have to be homeschooled for the rest of the year. And there's always guards everywhere."

"Yeah. It's for your safety, but things will go back to normal soon."

"I guess- oh Sloane asked me to call you guys down to eat."

"Thank you, we'll be down in a minute."

"We're ready." Andrea says as she tied her hair into a bun.

"Okay, let's head down."

"I like your sweater." Riley tells Andrea. They start to chatter away about the time I wore the sweater to school when I was younger, and I watch as Riley holds her hand as they walk down the stairs.

"I don't know about you guys, but I am starving!" Sloane says as we sit at the table.

"Well you have to eat for two now, makes sense." I say.

"So are you and Andrea going to get married too? I want to go to another wedding." I choke on my food.

"Um, I-"

"They're too young right now." Sloane saves us. I look over at Andrea and she just smiles. I reach under the table and place my hand on her thigh, and her smile widens. She places her hand on top of mine.

"Hello, ladies." My father walks in and waves his guards away.

"Hello, father I didn't know you would be back today-" Sloane starts to say.

"We need to talk."