The Never-Ending Challenge

The rest of the table was filled with mixed reactions ranging from gasps of surprise to cheers of triumph as the entire room shifted to where Mr Kim’s hands were gestured. It may have been just a couple of eyes, but with how intense some of them gazed towards him, Y/N felt that he was just stripped naked in front of a large crowd and like someone from the audience just won a lottery by choice. It was that time that he dreaded his entire decision of sitting way at the back of the table, and doing so caused him to see how each of them reacted to what they just heard.

Of course, most of the board members were eyeing him with curiosity, expectedly except for Mr Choi. The middle-aged man glared at him with pure disinterest with even a hint of disgust while some of the other board members gave him an encouraging smile. While he could perfectly see the surprised reactions of the other groups’ representatives, he was more so interested with how (G) I-DLE would react to that and of course it was nothing short from his expectations.

Yuqi gazed at him with her eyes in a surprised fit and her mouth hung open. Miyeon gave him a really confused and worried expression, while Minnie knit her eyebrows with her face stuck in a reaction that was quite between amazement and glee. Surprisingly even Shuhua and Soyeon, the only two members who knew about his true identity, were equally as shocked as everyone else as the announcement of him becoming CEO was quite unexpected.

Soojin, on the other hand, could not even make herself to look at him. She simply gazed at the table with a blank expression as the rest of her face seemed to turn pale with the news and quite unable to process the plethora of emotions she was beginning to feel.

What the fuck is happening? Y/N thought to himself. Is dad trolling me? What was he thinking bringing out that topic like that?!

The girls don’t even know I’m the son of a board member! No wonder they look so damn confused!

Countless amounts of questions were raised through the air amongst the board members while the commotion between the members were confined more in lip-reading. However, with how eager they were conversing, the room was filled with soft whispers both from the board members and from the idols combined, resulting to one mess of a noise that filled the rest of the conference room. It was only broken when the soft, seemingly deadly tone of Mr Choi rose from the ruckus and restored the hall into its tension-filled silence.

“Excuse me, Mr Kim, but what does your son have to do with this?”

“I know that this is really abrupt, so please let me explain,” Mr Kim said as he held a hand to keep everything under control. “This may have already come as a surprise to most of the members of the board that I am suddenly nominating my own son for such a huge position, but I do think that he has what it takes to run the company on his own. He was, after all, working inside the company ever since we went here in South Korea as an assistant manager of one of our girl groups, (G) I-DLE. I understand that some of the members of the group just found out about his identity now, but that was a topic for another day. It doesn’t remove the fact that he has been working inside out, studying the best for these aforementioned idols and I believe he could apply it to much larger field of practice.”

“Yeah, but even without that, what warrants your son to become a CEO if he is just an entry-grade employee under my department? Oh, and by the way, how on earth was this never mentioned to me in any way, Mr Kim?”

“Well, I don’t want to be the one to tell you of his qualifications. I think that would really be inappropriate but as for your question about why it didn’t come to your notice, I’m afraid that I don’t think it’s my problem. The issue about Ms Jeon's coercion went under your nose, so why would this become as a surprise Mr Choi?”