Chocolate Chip Bubble Tea

Going to Tahiti was one thing, but then again I can’t help but feel sad for Shuhua, especially after she began to be a bit dry after learning that the vacation would involve a lot of water. I did remember her mentioning on one of their guesting that it was an inherent childhood accident that caused her hydrophobia, but then I never realized it until she mentioned it herself. I tried to talk to her about it, but with the expression she was giving me when I began to shift the conversation for her to open up; I elected to stop considering she’d begin to sulk as opposed to the usually bubbly and random spirited Yeh Shuhua.

It turns out, even though I had already invited her for breakfast (much to Sven’s delight), I could still imagine that she was still stuck on the thought as she consumed her food rather lifelessly. My mother began to notice this too; as she sat on the middle of the glass clad dining room, and on the table she silently observed Shuhua. We would often exchange looks of concern, with eomma talking to me through the expression of her eyes. Losing patience and leaning more towards concern for her, eomma then tilted her head to meet Shuhua’s eyes and began to speak.

“Shuhua, dear, is there something wrong? Don’t you like the food? I can make the maids cook something else for you.”

“Hmmm…?” Shuhua said, apparently waking up from her trance. “No, no, eomma the food is delicious! I’m sorry for not eating that enthusiastically, I’m just thinking of something else…”

“What is it? Is this about work?”

“Ummm…”

I wanted to speak. I began to open my mouth but then I figured it would be better if Shuhua told eomma herself about it. With that, I continued to pick the thinly sliced vegetables with my spoon and listened to her confessions.

“It’s about the vacation eomma. I was so excited about it but as soon as I found out where we’re going, I can’t help but feel sad because I think the space allotted for me there would be wasted.”

“What made you think that way, dear? Don’t you like Tahiti?”

“No, of course I do eomma. It really does look breath-taking and all, it’s just…. I’ve always been afraid of large bodies of water eomma, and I’ve carried that ever since I was little.”

Eomma nodded and beckoned her to continue.

“My unnies are fine going there. In fact, most, if not all, of them are really looking forward to it. Of course since it’s a beach and sandbar eomma there would be a lot of swimming. I figured I’d be going there and just stay on the beachside while most of my unnies enjoy the beautiful waves.”

“I see, so that’s what’s been bothering you since this morning dear?”

Shuhua nodded. “I can’t stop thinking about it.”

“You know, no one blames you for being afraid of the water. It’s normal; and we’re all afraid of something. Now I totally understand how you feel, but then again there are a lot of things to do in beaches without going to the water, right? I’m pretty sure you could do something that you’d find enjoyable. Y/N’s dad here went his way to go out early and personally organize what was left of your trip. Everything’s going to be fine, dear, don’t worry about that.”

“You think so, eomma?”

“Yes, I do. Besides, there’s Y/N here who’s not that much of a fan of water, aren’t you Y/N?”

The sudden announcement of my name caused me to shift my gaze suddenly towards Shuhua and Eomma, although being caught mid chow, I blankly stared at them with a strip of bacon hanging from my lip down to my chin.