the smell of a hospital room

YOUR POV:
What is that? Peroxide? Some kinda acid? I don't know but it's flooding my nose. My eyelashes feel glued together, and a luminous light blinds the small squint I begin.

While trying not to be blinded I feel a tight squeeze on my hand. I recognize that firm grip. I try my hardest to open my eyes, she grasps even tighter yelling "nurse! Nurse!"

After lifting my eyelids that must weigh 20 lbs I see her face. Her beautiful face. With a smile so big she just looks at me. Cheeks all rosy and flushed, her hand is sweaty in mine, and I don't mind.

"Hi beautiful how are you feeling" I try to lift my head to talk but it's no use. I'm in a neck brace or something "hey, shouldn't you be in London?" She turns her head to the door, then kisses me

"Your name was on news articles I wanted to make sure you were okay" smiling even hurts, but I force it anyways. "How long has it been? What time is it?" Without letting go of my hand, she checks her phone

"It's august 31, and it's midnight" although my eyelids don't widen, my eyes give away my shock "Gillian how long have you been here?" She just licks her lips and looks away "I came in as soon as I heard you were here, I've been spending the last day and a half in here"

Really? For me? Like.... Just for me? I can't even believe this right now. Then I remember what happened in the first place, the reason I'm IN a neck brace "did they find out who it was" she shakes her head

"I have my suspicions, but I can't say anything unless we wanna get caught" I look around the room. It's a hospital room alright. The nurse comes in, and takes a bunch of weird tests. Lots of needles, and strange questions.

She tells me I've been in a temporary coma for almost 3 days since the stabs apparently were very deep. She said 2 of them hit veins in my neck, some even hit bones. Surprisingly I'm not that shocked or scared, I mean, the worst part is over right?

She leaves and tells me we need to get some real food in my system instead of these tubes, so She brings me applesauce, and water. Says we have to start slow.

It's gross but I force it down. It's strange with this stupid neck brace but I manage as long as Gillian is next to me. When the next nurse enters she doesn't even let go of my hand. I mean the nurse is at least in her 80's and probably doesn't recognize either of us.

Then I realize there's a security camera in here. I point to it, Gillian follows my finger with her eyes. "Oh don't worry, nothing on that can be posted since this is confidential" I mouth the words "oh" my voice seems to not want to work right now.

She moves in close to me and whispers "but just in case, I broke it again" she smiles that devilish smile and sits back again "oh so you remember that from jimmy Fallon?" Ah now my voice works.

"Maybe" she chuckles, I just smile since laughing will literally send me back into the coma. Even though it's 2 in the morning, she sits and talks to me. Making sure to keep me awake.

GILLIANS POV:
I want to keep her talking as long as I can, worried that if she falls asleep again she may never wake up. "Gillian your supposed to be in London, you have work" her voice sounds used, and tired, but strangely beautiful.

"I don't care, as long as your in a hospital bed I don't want to leave. Work can wait" all though I really can't hold off for much longer, I'm not going back until she's okay. Her eyelids start to close and I smile with defeat, knowing I can't keep her talking.

"Go to sleep" I say tightening the grasp of my hand on hers.
"I'll be here when you wake up" I sit in the uncomfy chair I've been in for 4 hours now, and watch her lie there.

I'm pondering what to do next when I hear her voice, no louder then footsteps walking by the doors, say "Gillian?" I sit up straight, and lean back over by her "yes?"

I hear her breathe a small breath "I love you" it's barely audible, with her fatigue and this room, but I hear it. "I love you too" I kiss her forehead, and watch her doze off. I don't let go of her hand, just have a gentle grip on it.

I wait for her awake, knowing I need sleep too. Although I try to stay up it's really no use. I've been awake for 2 days now. My head rests on my shoulder as I fall into a needed slumber.