❧ CHAPTER 1

season 5 episode 1

NATALIA RORY SLOAN was never entirely sure of anything

NATALIA RORY SLOAN was never entirely sure of anything. She wasn't entirely sure why she was adopted by a middle-aged couple who barely paid attention to their own biological son, never entirely sure how her love for surgery came to be, never entirely sure of how she came to have amazing friends in the hospital she worked in— but if there was anything she was sure of, it was this. 

Natalia Sloan loved hot pretzels.

There was no question about it— the soft salty snack always seemed to beam her mood no matter what she was currently feeling. Unfortunately, the task to find them seemed to grow impossible due to the freezing weather outside which strayed hot pretzel vendors away.

And if anything prevented Natalia from acquiring the food item, she'd go off and have her second favorite thing— a blue slushy, which, unfortunately with the cold weather, also proved hard to find.

That was where she found herself— hogging the recently ranked number twelve hospital's computer in search for a hot pretzel recipe or vendor, thinking of a strategy plan to convince the cafeteria ladies if all else failed when her pager rang.

It was Dr. Richard Webber.

"Crap." She muttered to herself lightly, closing all the tabs to rid the software of evidence before she sprang to action— rushing out of the room as she quickly tied her brown hair into a pony tail to reach the room she was summoned to. She never took pages lightly— especially ones from the Chief. After all, there were lives at stake.

Walking into the trauma room, her eyes instantly landed on a man in uniform, who was still standing despite his heavily bleeding thigh, before she allowed her gaze to shift, catching sight of her brother, Mark, with Alex Karev, George O'Malley, Dr. Webber, and Dr. Bailey all helping the patient with a few nurses.

"Uh," Bailey began, frowning her brows as she made an assessment, "I'm gonna need a C.T. of, uh, this belly, Chief..." She slowly glanced up, "Karev, get us in line."

"Looks like his trachea's crushed." Mark exhaled, still not looking up, "I'm gonna need an O.R. and an extra set of hands. Who's available?"

"Well," Natalia voiced for the first time, smiling as her brother finally caught sight of her— oblivious to the man-in-uniform's eyes on her, "I'm here and available." She aimed a cheeky grin towards Mark, who rolled his eyes with a smile as he went back to the patient, before meeting her eyes with the stranger's— instantly, she looked down, feeling a blush rise to her cheeks from the sudden eye-contact. 

"Grey." Bailey suggested, choosing to ignore the small comment made by the resident she knew would spark Mark's inability to be quiet in the O.R.— and seeing as Bailey preferred not to have a headache, she hoped he would take the recommendation and go.