❧ CHAPTER 4

season 6 episode 7

The hospital staff stood in front of the O

The hospital staff stood in front of the O.R., paying attention to the Chief's announcement on their new schedule maker— a computer. As Natalia looked around, she caught sight of Derek walking into the hallway with Bailey beside him. 

"And to make sure this was the right decision," Webber assured, smiling, "I have enlisted one of our own to do a trial run for the last month, Dr. Sloan." Seeing her brother with a confident, brooding pose prompted an eye roll from Natalia as Derek joined her with his arms crossed across his chest. 

"I know what you're all thinking." Mark stated, looking at the group.

"Hot pretzels." Natalia whispered to Derek, who emitted a small laugh as Mark continued.

"It's a machine. It doesn't know me. It doesn't know what I like." Mark voiced, unaware of Derek's steps forward, "But after using this new system for the past month, I gotta say, people, I'm a convert. This computer knows me better than I know me."

"Chief," Derek interrupted, "this thing has rearranged my schedule for the entire week." He turned to the group, "I mean, haven't we had enough change here already?"

Webber interjected, not wanting his staff against him, he grinned, "Change is good, everyone." Derek turned back— holding eye contact with the Chief before Bailey walked forward with Natalia.

"You two need to stop bickering." Bailey reprimanded, shaking her head at the two, "It's unattractive."

Natalia, holding back a laugh, waited for the Chief to leave before looking at Derek, "Nice way to appeal to the people— but if you want to be, as Mark calls it, 'Daddy's Favorite,'" She joked, placing her hands on his shoulders, "you can't exactly say stuff like that."

"You know what this is about, right?" Mark asked Derek, standing behind him and next to Natalia as Cristina waited excitedly for Isaac's brain scans to appear on the monitors. Derek, swiveling around in his chair, quirked a brow for his answer.

"You're no longer 'Daddy's Favorite.'" The Sloans spoke, looking away from the monitors and towards Derek, offering him a cheeky grin as he squinted at them.

"So," Mark resumed, "you've gone in search of some crazy ass tumor to get his love back."

"Actually," Derek spun in his chair to face the Sloans, "It's about my patient. I haven't made up my mind yet. I'm just looking."

"Isaac has a core tumor?" Callie asked, walking into the room with a worried gaze.

Cristina grinned as she began to show Callie the previous scans Isaac had, "Oh, it's awesome. Look."

"Awesome in a bad way." Natalia clarified, shaking her head at Cristina before looking at the scans herself.

"It's eaten five levels of his spine," Callie gaped, grabbing the scans to take a closer look— quickly, her eyes moved to Derek, "wait, you're not seriously considering trying to take it out?"