❧ CHAPTER 21

season 7 episode 11

Natalia rolled her eyes as she continued walking forward to the main lobby, Mark treading behind her

"Why didn't you tell me about Miles? I didn't know you were having fun-- and about time too, I tried to hook you two up when you first got here--"

"Okay, why didn't you tell me you and Lexie got back together?"

"It happened last night, it was all of a sudden--"

Natalia stopped as she pointed at him, "Exactly."

Mark squinted his eyes before continuing to follow her, "Your date with him was two days ago..." Mark stopped himself as Natalia and Mark both looked at the crowd of doctors and nurses crying, looking at the television on a major Seattle-area shooting at a college. Natalia nudged Mark forward to help comfort Lexie, who was drying her tears with a tissue, and Mark looked at her worriedly before Natalia nodded, assuring she would be fine as he walked towards her and Natalia stood next to Jackson.

Natalia held a concentrated look at the monitor as she saw teenagers in the background, "Oh, boy..."

"There are 15 ambulances on the way. Maybe more to come." Owen assessed, speaking out loud to the doctors and nurses crowded outside of the E.R., "First one is three minutes out." 

Richard walked forward as Natalia kept her eyes glued to the floor in front of her, trying not to listen to the sounds of nurses and doctors crying, "People... our own trauma is fresh and we are going to have feelings today, and there is no shame in that. What I want to say is, what we went through six months ago, they are going through right now, which makes them our brothers and sisters... which makes them fellow travelers, which makes them our own. So to the very best of our ability, we are gonna do our work first, and you're gonna have your feelings later." 

Once the ambulances came, Natalia rushed forward alongside Alex as the doors opened and a paramedic came out, handing the chart to Alex as Natalia checked the patient, "15 year old, Kelly Keck, G.S.W.s to the leg and abdomen. Abdomen rigid, systolic 75, last pulse 147."

"She's 15?" Alex asked, looking at all of the injuries.

"Yeah." The paramedic said, sighing, "Look what being a genius gets you." 

Natalia looked forward as the paramedics began to wheel in the patient, "Clear trauma three and page Stark."

Natalia suctioned as Stark looked around for the bullet fragments in the abdomen and Alex worked on her leg. 

Alex sighed, "This artery is in pieces. Vascular clamp."

The scrub nurse passed him the instrument, "Here you go." 

Stark responded without looking up from the patient, "Your best move is to amputate that leg. You've got no more time to waste down there."