❧ CHAPTER 71

STRAWBERRIES AND SLUSHIES

extra natwen/nowen moments throughout time

"How'd you know?" Natalia smiled, tying the laces on her ice skating shoes, "Did Jackson tell you?"

"Actually," Owen pointed out, tying his own shoes next to her, "I do listen whenever you talk. And you mentioned it when you were talking to Jackson and I about ice."

"Oh." Natalia felt her face redden, which Owen took note of and smiled, "I, uh, didn't think you'd remember that was..." She frowned her eyebrows as she remembered the conversation, "weeks ago."

"But I did." Owen nodded with a smile as his eyes landed on her.

"You still don't remember when my birthday is, do you?" Natalia teased, tilting her head to the side to look at him.

Owen's face froze before diverting the conversation, "...So you've been ice skating since you were a kid, right?"

Natalia let out a small laugh as she nodded, "Mark used to teach me on the weekends after my dance practices." She smiled, standing up, "And how are you on ice?"

"Me?" Owen confidently shook his head, "I'm fine, uh, perfect, even."

"Mm." Natalia let out an unconvinced hum before she slowly walked over and placed her feet on the ice and skated. She let out a small laugh as she felt her feet glide across the ice until she did a sharp turn to look back at Owen, who was glancing at the ice hesitantly, making Natalia go back to her date, "You know the ice won't bite you right?"

"I know." Owen nodded, holding onto the edge of the fence around the rink, "I'll be fine, you can go on without me."

Natalia chuckled, looping her arm with Owen's, "The point of a date is to do things together." She flashed him a smile, making his heart begin to race, "If you fall, I'll fall with you."

"I used to dream about how life would be when I was older with Megan." Owen admitted, holding Natalia close in his arms, "We'd live close to one another and near our parents, we'd raise our kids together... go on family camping trips and cookouts and spend holidays together..." Owen grew silent as Natalia's hand brushed through his hair, "but life had other plans."

Natalia's eyes softened, knowing exactly how he felt, "Owen--"

"And now I have a different dream." Owen smiled, his eyes meeting hers.

Natalia cheekily smiled, "Am I in it?"

Owen let out a chuckle, bringing her in closer to plant a soft kiss on her lips, "Of course you are."

"They could be in soccer." Owen listed, happily smiling at his wife as she watched a movie, "Or they could both be in dance. Or they could both be singers, or they could be writers, surgeons--"