❧ CHAPTER 52

season 11 episode 8

Lying down on the O

Lying down on the O.B. examination bed, Natalia held Owen's hand as Dr. Keerhan spread the gel on her stomach as he brought the transducer closer.

Dr. Keerhan looked at the monitor before looking at the couple once more, "The choice was to not know the gender of the babies, right?"

As Owen opened his mouth to answer, Natalia practically sprung up, "Actually, I changed my mind." Owen quirked an eyebrow and Natalia sunk, "Sorry, it's just that Jackson and April don't know and Jackson is dying to know and now I want to know. I can't end up like a disheveled Jackson, Owen."

Owen shrugged, "Then we'll know."

Natalia squinted at him, referring to their discussion on whether or not they wanted to know last time, "You wanted to know." 

"I-- Of course I wanted to know." He defended, raising his hands in surrender, "Now I got used to the idea of a surprise."

Natalia blew air out of her mouth as Dr. Keerhan moved the transducer around to see the sexes and she used the same words Owen had told her, "Well, take it as an early gift rather than a surprise."

Owen teasingly squinted at her as the doctor smiled at the two, "Looks like you'll be getting one of each. Both healthy."

"A boy and a girl?" Natalia asked, wanting clarification and smiled once Dr. Keerhan nodded.

Walking out of the O.B. room, Natalia looked over the sonogram pictures with Owen until Natalia's attention was brought to the sounds of squeaky resident shoes approaching her. Natalia glanced up at Owen, "Save yourself."

Owen frowned his eyebrows at her, "What?" His eyes met Stephanie's as she approached the two and Owen nodded at his wife, kissing her temple lightly before walking away.

"Dr. Sloan." Stephanie greeted as she showed photos of a patient's sonogram, "I need you to look at the ultrasound." Natalia grabbed the tablet and scanned her eyes over them as Stephanie continued, "I've spoken to Dr. Robbins but Dr. Herman still needs to confirm so I decided to come to you."

"Oh, thanks." Natalia smiled sarcastically, "I love being told I'm a second choice."

"I--"

"It's a joke, Edwards." Natalia rolled her eyes, and blew air out of her mouth, "It could be type II or III of Osteogenesis Imperfecta."

Stephanie's face slowly fell as she whispered, "Oh, no."

Natalia kept her eyes on the scans as she told Stephanie, "Define Osteogenesis Imperfecta."

"Uh, congenital birth defect in which the child has fragile bones that are easily broken and for no reason." Stephanie answered, "With the more fatal cases, sometimes you can see the fractures in utero."