❧ CHAPTER 10

season 6 episode 18

"You're an active guy

"You're an active guy." Lexie remarked at the patient who, alongside his three friends, skied down a mountain before ending up horribly injured.

"Once a year anyhow. Better than nothing." The patient responded, "Once a year, we live like men."

"You almost died like men." Natalia said as she assessed his injuries.

"On my count. One, two... three." The doctors lifted up the patient to place him down on a hospital bed instead of the gurney. 

Natalia checked the patient for any head trauma and informed Bailey they should page Shepherd since he had a head lac, and then began to check his abdomen as well. Once she and the other doctors were done she looked at Owen who was standing still looking straight ahead, and for some reason she was brought back to when her biological brother had a PTSD episode when she visited her family. She remembered how he informed her on how to help people with PTSD before leaving, and felt that maybe the "training" would be beneficial again.

"Dr. Hunt, shall we scan him first?" Bailey's voice echoed in Owen's head until he turned to face her, "See what kind of damage we're dealing with incase we need an O.R.? He's got some abdominal bruising."

"Yeah, yeah, okay. You-- you take this." Owen began to walk away and Natalia squinted at his retreating figure, wondering why he could be acting shaky. 

"Uh, get him up to C.T."

"Cristina!" Natalia yelled out as she saw the dark-haired girl down the hall. 

"Yeah?" Cristina turned around and Natalia jogged forward to talk to her.

"Have you noticed anything... weird with Owen?"

"What do you mean?"

"I don't know, he seemed a bit... weird today in the E.R., he was blanking out and I thought maybe he was triggered from something but I don't know, I could be wrong. I just wanted to tell you in case you knew anything."

Cristina looked at Natalia before looking at the floor, deep in thought before responding, "I haven't noticed anything but thanks for keeping me posted, Nat."

Natalia smiled before looking down at her pager who went off, "No problem."

"Your head lac is small enough that shooting in lidocaine would be more painful than just throwing in a couple of staples." Owen explained to the patient as Natalia got behind him and prepared the stapler.

"Is this gonna hurt like my fingers? Because--"

Natalia put her hand and stapler on the patient as she downplayed it to not cause him to stress, "Not too much." And she began to place the staples down the patient's head as she tried to block out his screams.