❧ CHAPTER 53

season 11 episode 11

Jackson and April sat down, hands held together as they waited for Arizona to the test results to come back

Jackson and April sat down, hands held together as they waited for Arizona to the test results to come back. Both heads quickly moved up as they heard the door open, watching as Arizona closed the door behind her.

"Um," She pointed behind her, "it'll be a minute."

April nodded and Jackson exhaled deeply, whispering, "Okay." 

April slowly turned her head at her husband, "What?"

"This is a big guns conversation," Jackson asked Arizona, referring to when they took their ultrasound that morning and Arizona called herself a small gun-- that the big guns, Natalia and Herman, were only necessary when they needed a big gun, "isn't it?"

Arizona's eyes drifted downwards as she let out a sharp exhale, "Yeah."

Having just heard that, April and Jackson's faces were slightly down as they saw Dr. Herman and Natalia walk into the room, closing the door behind them.

"April, Jackson," Dr. Herman greeted, "we have your test results."

"With type II," Natalia told them, "we're dealing with low birth weight, underdeveloped lungs, swallowing problems, respiratory problems."

"If carried to term," Herman continued, "type II infants typically die within a few hours of delivery, sometimes days. Your baby's also at high risk for intrauterine fracturing."

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry." April interrupted, wanting clarification, "Um, did you say intrauterine?"

Natalia and Dr. Herman nodded, "Yes."

"My b-- My baby's bones are breaking inside of my belly?" April held a hand on her stomach, "The place he's supposed to be safe, his--his bones are breaking." Jackson reached over to hold April's hand as her voice broke, "No, I just-- um, c-can he feel it? His bones breaking? I mean, he can feel it, right?" Dr. Herman and Natalia nodded, which caused April to sadly nod back, "So, he's in-- he's in pain."

"Again," Dr. Herman repeated, "I am so sorry."

After informing April and Jackson about the choices they had with type II, for a second time that day, Natalia and Herman walked out of the room with a heavy exhale.

Arizona walked towards them, abruptly stopping once she saw Jackson and April inside and questioned, "I thought they went home."

Natalia nodded, "They wanted to talk some more." 

Herman shrugged, "I'm not sure it helped."

"Why didn't you call me?" Arizona quirked an eyebrow, "And why is Dr. Sloan here?"