❧ CHAPTER 2

season 6 episode 4

George O'Malley's death impacted everyone who worked in Seattle Grace tremendously— no one could've predicted its detriments to spirit and mood for the weeks after

George O'Malley's death impacted everyone who worked in Seattle Grace tremendously— no one could've predicted its detriments to spirit and mood for the weeks after. For Natalia, it put things into perspective the second she lost her best friend. 

Jack Stewart Hemingway and Elliot Johnny Hemingway— her biological father and brother, respectively, as she came to learn from a document she received hours before the tragic news struck, lived in a quaint house in Maine where her father fished and her brother studied to become a cardiothoracic surgeon. 

She didn't want to go— feeling it was odd to achieve what would've been a dream of hers, finding her birth family to fix the lost-sense within her, but with convincing from Mark— or rather, his insistence of her visiting, made her finally crack and go. 

Her mother, as she discovered, plotted to secretly give Natalia up for adoption without counseling her husband— and once it was done, died a few hours after child-birth. According to the staffing department at the time, her biological mother heavily resented her actions but continued to comfort herself with the idea that it was right— the family, as it turned out, was poor and would not afford the expenses of having another child.

Despite the somber mood which filled the house after recalling those event to Natalia— the mood quickly shifted to joy as the biological siblings bonded with their love for surgery and games, card and board, which delighted their father. 

In her time there, she learned of her father's past and his early recruitment for army— helping soldiers who were injured and his battle with battle shock, combat fatigue, war neurosis— all more commonly known as post-traumatic stress disorder. 

Although he did not go to war, Elliot opened up on his night terrors which used to plague his mind after the death of his mother— he was relatively young, a mere seven years old when the death of his mother and departure of his baby sister hit him hardest— but either way, he persevered and now enjoys the beautiful dreams his mind creates, a wonderful escape from the harsh realities the world offered.

Overall, the experience brought cheer and jolly to Natalia's soul— filling an empty void she brushed aside until then.

Walking up the entrance to the great hospital in front of her, Natalia took note of the cement square to the side which read, "SEATTLE GRACE + MERCY WEST HOSPITAL," and took in what it meant for the future of the hospital— that the people, her people, she knew from the second she entered, were gone— having been fired to make space for the newcomers.

Lightly chuckling to herself as she recalled her first day on the job— the very one where she ignored Mark for an entire day upon realizing he was the person who Addison cheated on Derek with, she inhaled deeply, hoping the new people wouldn't be as bad as she pictured, and walked forward.