❧ CHAPTER 20

season 7 episode 8

April sat in-between Natalia and Jackson as Teddy presented for the hospital's M&M

April sat in-between Natalia and Jackson as Teddy presented for the hospital's M&M. She turned to look at Jackson, "It's all in your head." 

Jackson whispered back, "My name isn't on the O.R. board. I checked the schedule. Nobody wants to work with me, 'cause I'm not on anybody's service."

Natalia waved her hand, "Just ask around."

April nodded, "It's an oversight, okay?"

Jackson sighed, "Do you know how many things I've screwed up in the last month?"

Meredith leaned forward, "Stop it. I'm serious. Just ask around and get on someone's service and get back to work."

Alex entered the room as he sat next to Meredith, and people around him began to cringe as he started to stink up the room. Meredith looked at him, "You smell like you're sweating booze. Where have you been?"

Jackson turned around to look at him, "I want the weekend you had." 

Alex sighed, "What happens in Vegas, you know? Hey, who's Stark? I'm supposed to be on Stark's service today."

April turned around before Natalia could answer, "Oh, me, too. He's the new Peds attending, since Robbins left." Jackson turned his head at the same time Natalia did to look at April, suspicious that she could be gaining feelings.

Alex sighed again, "I can't handle a bunch of sick kids today. I can't do it."

April slightly tilted her head back, "...So was it a bachelor party or--"

"Shh." Meredith whispered, "They're talking about Cristina."

"Oh." April turned her head back to the front as Jackson and Natalia gave each other a squinted look, both knowing what was up as they looked forward.

"It became clear to Dr. Yang that they were gonna need to switch modalities. The patient was put on ECMO..."

A doctor from the crowd called out, "And why did Dr. Yang opt to use the intra-aortic balloon pump over an R-Vad?"

"I, um..." Teddy cleared her throat, "I can't answer for Dr. Yang." 

"And why isn't she here?"

"She, um..." Teddy looked at the crowd before matching eyes with Owen as he looked down, "She quit. She left the program."

"I'm sorry. What? She what?" Mark asked out-loud, leaning forward in his chair as Natalia face-palmed.

Teddy continued, "Dr. Yang cleared the balloon pump with Dr. McQueen... who agreed that it was the best--"

Mark interrupted again as the chief's phone rang, "Go back. Go back. Yang quit the program?"

Derek turned around to look at Mark, "Yeah, where have you been?"