❧ CHAPTER 51

season 11 episode 7

Natalia walked into the E

Natalia walked into the E.R. as she passed by Dr. Herman, "Dr. Sloan!" Dr. Herman called out, making Natalia turn to face her, "I'm taking another personal day. If Dr. Robbins by any chance pages you, I need you to ignore it."

Natalia quirked an eyebrow but nonetheless nodded, "Okay." She turned around and walked up to a patient's bed, where Derek handed her a chart.

"I did a neuro exam and fixed her head lac, but--." Derek presented as Natalia's eyes read through the chart and glanced at the six-year-old patient on the patient bed.

Natalia nodded, "She's gonna need surgery." She turned to a nurse, "Page Cardio. And get an O.R. ready."

Derek watched Natalia take her stethoscope off of her neck and begin to examine the patient for herself, "So, how's Amy adjusting?"

"She's fine." Natalia spoke, knowing Derek wanted to know how Amelia had been as the head of neuro since he was planning on going to Washington-- key word planning since Meredith backed out of their plan to move and then Derek decided not to take the job and was now no longer head of neuro. Natalia shrugged, "You could just ask her yourself."

"Bah." Derek shook his head, "I don't think that's a good idea since she thinks--"

"That you're out to steal her job?" 

Derek jokingly scoffed, "Are you going to let me finish a sentence?" Natalia shrugged. "Have the babies moved yet?"

Natalia rolled her eyes as Elliot walked up to the group, "It's my first pregnancy and I'm only fourteen weeks--"

"I need a different doctor right now." A worried family member of a patient spoke to a nurse from the nurse's station as Amelia tried to calm her down from beside her.

"Okay. Calm down." Amelia said, trying to calm down Sarah, the family member, since Sarah had been to a narcotics anonymous meeting where Amelia spoke on her difficulties with addiction, "Let's just--"

"No!" All of the doctors turned to look at the scene as Owen approached them and Sarah yelled out, "I want another doctor!"

"What's the problem here?" Owen asked, walking up to the two.

"She cannot touch my mother. She's a drug addict." Amelia tried to defend herself but Sarah continued, "I can't have her operate on my parents." 

"Hold it." Owen stopped Sarah, "Dr. Shepherd is our--"

"Is a junkie." Sarah declared, "I met her in narcotics anonymous. She's hooked on oxy. She overdosed with her boyfriend and woke up with him dead in bed with her. I want another doctor."

The size of Natalia's eyes were doubled as she looked over at Derek, not believing a family member would expose Amelia like that, and whispered, "Derek." With a bob of her head, he knew she meant for him to walk over and save Amelia.