❧ CHAPTER 13

season 7 episode 1

After the shooting, Mark believed it was best for Natalia to get re-acquainted with her biological family because she kept saying she would meet with them soon and then push it off until one day she found her biological brother, Elliot, waiting ou...

After the shooting, Mark believed it was best for Natalia to get re-acquainted with her biological family because she kept saying she would meet with them soon and then push it off until one day she found her biological brother, Elliot, waiting outside her apartment building to take her home.

It was a short lived vacation, she stayed with her father and brother for two weeks... two excruciatingly long weeks that Natalia continuously found herself screaming awake from the nightmares that plagued her sleep. To say the least, Gary Clark ruined Natalia's favorite part of sleeping-- dreaming. Elliot helped her out as best he could, knowing people back in the war who would also wake up screaming at night, but when she had to go back home she was on her own, assuring her brother she would be fine to not burden him. 

The only other people who knew about her night terrors were Mark, Jackson, the counselor Perkins, and Owen. It was honestly a surprise to her when the counselor cleared her for surgery, especially after her first meeting with him where she basically rambled about everything that was not okay. 

"How are you feeling, Natalia?"

Natalia inhaled sharply as her eyes slowly met the counselor in front of her, "How am I feeling? Well, let's recap, shall we? I came to work, thinking everything was perfectly fine, someone had shared some splendid news and I was excited for what my future could be... then some guy comes into the place I love working at, shoots one of my friends and a bunch of other people. Sure, I wasn't really close with Charles, but I-- I could feel a great friendship blossoming and this guy comes in and shoots my friend."

"Natalia--"

"Oh, and I haven't even told you the best part." Natalia interrupts as she feels her eyes begin to tear up and start to ramble to make the tears go away, "I used to think the worst day of my life was when I found out my ex-boyfriend, who I thought was teaching me what love was, cheated on me repeatedly, even after I forgave him. So then I had my 'Mark Sloan Era' which you don't really want to know about, and put my surgical life on pause... but I got over it when my brother took me to a park but he got paged and I saw him work and then he took me out somewhere to eat and I had an epiphany as I ate those hot pretzels and drank the blue slushies that I shouldn't put my dreams on pause because some guy didn't love me, because even though he made me feel unworthy of love, I am worthy of it." 

She inhaled, "But man, was I wrong in thinking that would be the worst day of my life. The worst part is, I can't look at an elevator the same way anymore. I can't look at cheese puffs the same way anymore 'cause it was the only thing Charles ever wanted to eat whenever I was at his apartment. I can't even dream anymore because all I have are nightmares, sometimes they're about being dragged out of a bed and being held at gunpoint and others it's Charles and how I can't save him, and sometimes--"