❧ CHAPTER 63

season 12 episode 9 [part two]

"Mark." A smile graced Natalia's face as she ran over and wrapped her arms around him tightly in a hug, "I... I thought--"

"I am." Mark answered, knowing Natalia was going to say she thought he was dead, "And, for the moment, you are, too."

Natalia's eyes widened as her tight grip on him loosened so she could look up at him, "That's... weird."

"'Weird'?" Another voice spoke, making Natalia turn her head and smile brightly once more as she saw it was Derek walking into the room, "That's what you say after finding out you're temporarily dead?"

"Derek!" Natalia jogged up to the man and hugged him, feeling the vibrations of his chest from his laugher until she pulled away lightly to smack his arm and joked, "You missed the twins' second birthday party now."

Derek's smile fell, "Nat," Derek started, wanting to explain the fact that she couldn't be with them for long, "we know you wanted a break, but--"

"Where's Lexie?" Natalia asked, escaping their hug to look around the room before she went down the stairs, her voice light as she called out, "And the twins?"

"They're not here." Derek shouted in response before looking back at Mark as they were the only two in the room, "We have to--"

"Let her have fun." Mark replied, gesturing at his sister who was looking around the living room for Lexie, "She hasn't had some in a long time, the least we can do is make her happy in the few minutes she has with us because she probably won't ever see us again." Mark's voice got strong, "We won't be able to talk with her, have fun with her, so we should cherish this as well."

Derek's face went soft as Mark went down the stairs, "Mark..."

"Oh," Mark smiled, having reached the end of the stairs with Derek behind him, "you found Lexie."

"Ooh," Lexie hummed, pulling away from their hugs as she smiled at Natalia, "how's motherhood?"

"Great." Natalia nodded with a bright smile, "Other than the sleepless nights, it's great..." Her smile faded as she looked at Lexie's sparkling eyes, "I started Mother Mass without you."

Not wanting to see her sad, Lexie's eyes widened as she stepped forward, "Nat--"

"Who else is down here?" Natalia asked, chuckling as she wiped off the tears that threatened to fall-- not wanting to damper the mood, "Where's Charles-- a-and George?"

"Off shooting hoops at the park." Mark joked.

Natalia turned around to face him with frowned eyebrows, not knowing he was joking, "Really--?"

"No." Derek deadpanned, throwing Mark a look before hesitantly stating, "Nat, you can't stay--"

"What he meant to say," Mark corrected as he cleared his throat, "was that you can't go without playing a game first." He nodded his head at Lexie, "Lex, go show Roar where the games are."