❧ CHAPTER 17

season 7 episode 5

Natalia sat down on the resident bench while Dr

Natalia sat down on the resident bench while Dr. Webber walked around the resident's lounge, "I have great faith in you... I can because I chose you, I trained you. The training wheels are coming off, people."

Nurses began to walk in with scrubs and Meredith turned to look at the chief, "Navy scrubs?"

"Attending scrubs." Webber corrected, "You are attendings today. Run the cases, take point, but don't be a fool. If you get in over your head, cry uncle. Until then... congratulations. You've just been promoted." 

Natalia grabbed a pair of scrubs as she smiled alongside Jackson and April, thinking about her weeks of training with Dr. Herman has finally led up to this. 

Natalia stood next to Dr. Herman as she looked at the scans in front of her, clearing her throat as she prepared herself to present the patient to Dr. Herman, "This is Grace Pfeiffer, gestational age 23 weeks. She's currently dealing with a nasty C-CAM that we'll be repairing today--"

Dr. Herman interrupted, "Tell me what C-CAM stands for."

"Congenital Cystic Adenomatoid Malformation, the mass is pressing on his heart and lungs."

"Good, continue."

"Grace's C-CAM has been unresponsive to steroid treatment and she's currently developing hydrops."

Dr. Herman nodded as she looked through more scans, "This is what fetal surgery was created for, how are you going to proceed?"

"First, we're going to open up the mother, then incise the uterus, then remove the C-CAM and put her back where we found her. And, hopefully, she'll be carried to term." Natalia smiled, slightly proud of herself for studying fetal surgery all these weeks.

"Great." Dr. Herman looked at her watch, "You're going to have a consultation another patient for the next twenty minutes and then when you get back here, we're going to go over this procedure step by step." Natalia nodded, grabbing the chart Herman passed at her as she walked out of the room, catching a glimpse of Lexie.

"Lexie!"

Lexie turned sharply before walking towards Natalia, clicking her pen as she readied herself to begin writing, "What do you need?"

"I need you to check on room 4302, she's going to go under and she mentioned something about heart conditions in her family, check her out to make sure she's suitable for surgery."

Lexie nodded as she began to walk away, "On it."

❦ 

Natalia sat on the other side of Jackson's workbench as he and Meredith practiced drilling their names on eggs, except Jackson was trying to trick Meredith into thinking he couldn't do it.