❧ CHAPTER 32

season 8 episode 23

Derek and Natalia waited on an elevator as Mark entered and Derek looked at him, "How's Julia? You impregnate her yet?

"No," Mark answered as the elevator doors closed, "I was all ready to, but then Lexie..." He exhaled, "Oh, she told me she was in love with me."

"Ooh." Natalia hummed.

"What did you say?" Derek asked.

"I said, 'Thank you for your candor.'" Mark responded, to which Natalia flicked his head, "Ow!"

"'Thank you for your candor'?" Derek criticized and Natalia waved her hand towards him. 

"What was I supposed to do?" Mark sighed.

"Oh, I don't know... kiss her, maybe?" Natalia sarcastically replied and gave him a squinted look.

"Julia's away on a conference. I'm not a cheater." Natalia and Derek stared at Mark, "Usually."

"Mm."

"Look, I owe it to the both of them to..." Mark paused, "I don't want to mess this one up, okay? Julia wants to give me everything I want. But I'm in love with Lexie, who doesn't want anything I want." 

Natalia was about to respond to Mark as the elevator doors opened and Lexie was shown, "Dr. Shepherd." Lexie commented, "Dr. Sloans."

"Lexie, come on in." Derek nodded at her.

"Oh, uh..."

"Plenty of room." Natalia smiled.

"You know, actually," Lexie handed Derek folders, "I was gonna update you on the Boise doctors' bios, but since you're both here, I'm just gonna give it to you, and then that way, I can..." Lexie turned as the elevators doors closed and dinged, beginning to move again, "leave."

Derek gestured his head to Mark for him to talk to her while Natalia gestured with her hand, but the elevator doors opened to the next floor before he could answer. They all tried to leave the elevator and got stuck, "Oh, sorry." Derek apologized.

"Oh, uh, no." Lexie chuckled, "You guys go. I'm gonna stay."

"Oh, hey, Lexie," Mark turned to look at her, "about that other thing, don't think I forgot what you said. I just need to ruminate on that..."

"Ah."

"You know? Run it up the old flagpole?"

The elevator doors closed as Lexie sighed, "Okay."

Natalia tilted her head to look at her brother, "'Run it up the old flag pole'? Really?"

"You know," Derek teased, "It's too bad Meredith and I are moving to Boston. I'm gonna miss this."

Derek walked away as Jackson approached Mark, "Hey, you got a second? 'Cause I cannot figure out what to do about Tulane, and there's this whole other thing that happened at the Boards. I mean, it's all kinda thrown me for a loop." Mark walked away and Natalia and Jackson watched him do so.