❧ CHAPTER 27

season 8 episode 12

Natalia stared at the breakfast in front of her and faced the dilemma in her head; Miles was coming back to Seattle today, she got closer to Owen while he was gone, and with Jackson having revealed why he broke up with Lexie-- she still had feelin...

Natalia stared at the breakfast in front of her and faced the dilemma in her head; Miles was coming back to Seattle today, she got closer to Owen while he was gone, and with Jackson having revealed why he broke up with Lexie-- she still had feelings for Mark and it wasn't fair to him, she realized it wasn't fair to Miles either. So there she was, thinking of ways to gently breakup with him as she focused on strawberries in front of her as she pressed down feelings that started to come back. 

Natalia walked down the hallway as she held onto the small box of strawberries in her hand, "Chief Hunt!" 

Owen turned around, slightly off about his newly appointed title as 'Chief,' and frowned his eyebrows at Natalia in confusion, "What's up?"

"Nothing much," She smiled, passing over the box to him, "I figured since you gave me a slushie when I successfully did my first solo surgery, I'd give you something back since you're chief now." Owen laughed, looking at the small box in his hands now and smiled, "And I figured you'd want strawberries, since you told me that was the one thing you really craved when you were in Afghanistan for some odd reason, and I got them... because..." Natalia looked back at his eyes and realized he was looking at her and didn't stop her rambling, "...and now I've lost you."

"No," Owen chuckled, shaking his head, "No, I just-- didn't think you'd remember."

"Lion?" Jackson asked, brushing his shoulder against hers, "You okay?"

"Yeah," Natalia smiled, "just nervous about Miles coming back today. I haven't seen him in a while."

"Oh, damn it." Meredith sighed, she was trying to decorate Zola's birthday cake with frosting but she was having some difficulty, "I screwed it up."

"'Gag Zola,' really?" Jackson asked, placing another spoonful of cereal in his mouth.

"Those aren't G's. Those are Y's for 'Yay.' 'Yay Zola.'"

"See," Jackson pointed a finger towards the cake, "a normal person would've just written 'Happy Birthday.'"

"Well, I couldn't fit all those letters on the cake." 

"Why didn't you just put the letters H-B-D, for 'Happy Birth-Day'?" Natalia questioned, tilting her head to look at the cake.

Meredith stared at Natalia, "I--"

"Okay," April walked into the kitchen, "who used up the last of my deodorant?"

"Oh," A random woman raiding their fridge turned to look at April, "that might have been me. Sorry. Kinda had a workout last night."

Natalia placed a strawberry in front of her mouth as she mumbled, "Yeah, we heard."

Jackson and Meredith laughed and Jackson looked at April, who was looking back at him with accusing eyes, and responded, "Not mine."