❧ CHAPTER 59

season 11 episode 22 & 23 

Staring at Derek's braindead body hooked up to ventilators and other machinery, Meredith realized how lucky Natalia had been in having Mark decide his own course

She knew what had to be done, but saying goodbye was the toughest thing she could ever go through-- and she survived a bombing, gun shooting, plane crash, drowning... saying goodbye to the love of her life was the hardest.

"Hey, Torres," Owen spoke as he entered the attending's lounge and put on his white coat, "I need help on a hip disarticulation today. You want in?"

"Ooh," Callie hummed as Natalia and Alex glared at her, "maybe."

"Uh, wait," Maggie stood up from the table as she walked to Callie, "you have to finish your story. So, you actually had to break his knee?"

"No." Callie explained, "So, I had to shove the rod back in there even harder, and it wound up cracking the tibial plateau." She turned her head to Alex and Natalia, "Can I help you?"

The two answered in unison, "We want coffee."

Alex continued, "You're hogging the pot."

Meredith slowly walked inside, the numb feeling overtaking her body as she barely listened to her friends arguing.

"Maybe ask nicely," Maggie suggested, "like a civilized human being. Callie?"

"Hmm?" Callie turned her head to face Maggie.

"May I have the carafe, please?"

"Oh!" Callie passed the pot to Maggie as Alex and Natalia rolled their eyes, "Mm-hmm."

"See?" Maggie smiled, "It's quite easy, actually."

"Margaret," Natalia started, "I need coffee because my children love to stay up since my husband shows them horror films." 

Owen chimed from his seat in by the computer, "It was one time!"

"One time too many!" Natalia squinted at him jokingly, "So pass over the coffee." Maggie gave her a look, "Please."

"Here you go." Maggie passed the pot to Natalia and she poured herself and Alex coffee before placing it back down.

"I'm gonna go check on the kids." Natalia informed Owen as she walked over and gave him a kiss before walking out of the room.

"Hey," Maggie greeted Meredith as Natalia closed the door on her way out, "I heard there was weather near Dulles. Derek's flight got delayed, didn't it?" Maggie's voice became distorted to Meredith's ears, "I hate that airport."

"Pierce," Webber walked into the room, "my gallbladder guy's pacemaker keeps misfiring. You think you can take a look at it?"

"Yeah," Maggie nodded, "uh, I could do it right now."