❧ CHAPTER 64

THE CHOICE TO GREENLAND

Natalia sat in chair in front of her male therapist as she got comfortable with the idea of hospital mandated therapy

Natalia sat in chair in front of her male therapist as she got comfortable with the idea of hospital mandated therapy. The only "therapy" she's ever had was with Andrew Perkins-- who was a trauma counselor and not a therapist.

Dr. Benson Sommer, a man well in his sixties with brown hair slowly fading to grey-- Natalia took him as knowledgable, and hoped he would be able to clear her for surgery soon because, although she loved her kids and spending time with them, she missed surgery as well. He had two children and one young grandchild. A life well spent, it seemed.

"Dr. Sloan?" Natalia's head perked up to the older man, "Sorry, you seemed a little dazed there."

"Oh." Natalia nodded, "Sorry, I was looking at the picture of your kids-- they seem happy."

Dr. Sommer reached his hand over and looked at the picture, smiling as he put it back, "Yes, they are-- I wanted to ask you if you preferred a female therapist instead."

"Mm." She hummed, quirking an eyebrow at him as she asked, "Are you asking because a man attacked me?" 

Dr. Sommer was hesitant to nod, "We just want to assure you're comfortable."

"I'm comfortable." Natalia smiled, "The most important people in my life are and were men, so I'm good."

"Mm." Dr. Sommer hummed before asking, "Would you like to talk about that?"

"Sure..." Natalia raised an eyebrow before answering, "I grew up with my adoptive brother, Mark, and his best friend, Derek." She smiled, "We were a tight bunch and then Mark died, so I had Derek, Jackson, and Owen but then Derek died so I have Jackson and Owen and my two kids to help." The therapist hummed again, writing something down and Natalia chuckled, admitting, "You writing something down makes me feel like I'm getting written to the principal."

Natalia stood next to the window as she looked outside of it, watching the snow flakes fall to meet the ground and people exit or enter the hospital as Dr. Sommer continued, "...What were your thoughts when Lou attacked you?"

Natalia paused before answering, "I didn't really think, to be honest." She turned to face him, "I was knocked unconscious for possibly half of it and when I woke up..." She flinched, looking back at the snowflakes, "Meredith was bleeding and hurt-- she was hurt a lot more than me and I was unconscious so I couldn't do anything... then I saw Lou standing there-- he looked fine, like he snapped out of whatever daze he was in so I tried to get him to talk to me and then he attacked me again."

"Why didn't you call for help?" Dr. Sommer questioned, eyebrows frowned.

She turned back, "I would've if I could've." She admitted, "The phone was behind him, so even if I tried to get it-- Meredith and I yelled but no one heard because of the E.R.-- it's busy, you know how it gets." She faced the snowflakes and shrugged, "No one heard."