| t h i r t y - n i n e |

한지성 (Han Jisung)'s pov
The door slammed shut behind me as I let out a heavy sigh. The idea of looking back- maybe knocking and saying that I didn't wanna leave yet was indeed tempting.

But I didn't do it.

I didn't look back.

I shouldn't.

It was yet still too early for me to head home. My dad won't even be home until midnight, my older brother and mom went somewhere else. There's no one to wait for me at home so why did I leave?

What are you doing Han Jisung? You said you'd try to get her but why aren't you selfish enough?

Maybe it is better now that I'm leaving Korea.

I need to move on.

I have to.

We've made stupid fantasies together and I believed that we'd have a happy ending— not as friends- but more.

I've deceived myself with that thought to the point that I've forgotten that I was just the side character— the support.

I was too immersed in the idea of a happy ending that I've forgotten to make it happen.

It's way too late now.

Her heart belongs to someone else and there's absolutely nothing I can do with that.

I just want the best for her.

So I left, even if my heart didn't want me to. Even though Seungmin told me to follow my heart— I left because my mind was noisier with its hesitation so I couldn't hear my heartbeats. The heartbeats that asked me to stay and try harder.

I left because I didn't want to be selfish.

And Hyunjin?

Hyunjin better do this right.

———————————————————————

"Seunghee?" Hyunjin tilted his head while holding onto the water bottle, waiting for the girl to notice him. She held onto the bench tightly with a sigh of relief and fear at the same time.

"Seunghee..?" Seunghee finally looked at her right with a bare smile, "oh- Hey, you-" She eyed the water bottle, which he was offering to her, before taking it. "Thank you, giant."

She carefully attempted to open the bottle cap, trying her best to open it— but eventually failed. Hyunjin quickly offered help, "I'll do it-."

Hyunjin took it and unscrewed the bottle cap to great success before handing it back to her, "here."

"Oh." She took the bottle, "thanks, again." She cleared her throat before chugging half of the water.  Achieving to gulp all the water down her throat, she finally removes the water bottle's touch from her lips as Hyunjin quickly handed her the bottle cap.

Seunghee's lips drew a small smile as she took it, then proceeded to cover the bottle. She then placed the bottle between them, liberating a sigh. "I'm- Uhm, sorry." She said with no eye contact.