xcvi. end of an era

╔═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╗

𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑷𝑻𝑬𝑹 𝑵𝑰𝑵𝑬𝑻𝒀 𝑺𝑰𝑿
❝ 𝒆𝒏𝒅 𝒐𝒇 𝒂𝒏 𝒆𝒓𝒂 ❞

╚═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╝

THE NEXT TIME VERA WOKE up, she was met with the comforting, dim light of her partner next to her

THE NEXT TIME VERA WOKE up, she was met with the comforting, dim light of her partner next to her. It brought her immediate solace and eased her awakening.

"How do you fare, Vera?" his soft voice broke the silence between them, and he helpfully handed her a cup of water, which she desperately gulped down.

She flashed him a quick smile to soothe his worries and adjusted her body to sit conveniently by his side. "I am well, Legolas," she assures him, then grinned teasingly, "do not tell me you...no, it cannot be! You were worried about...dear, old me?"

Legolas ducked his head — probably to conceal his laughter — and replied in feigned annoyance, "do shut up." They shared a heartful chuckle together. Vera relishes in the warmth his presence brought and the sudden ease in their being together. But a thicker silence remained thereafter. "I have reason to worry," adds Legolas quietly.

Vera sighs, sets her cup down on the wooden bedside next to them, and scoots closer to rest at his side. The elf opens his arms to accept her hug and rests her head atop his shoulders. "I apologize...for going against my word and our agreement...and putting our child at risk."

The blonde inhales deeply and unconsciously smoothens her stomach area as if to hold the baby. Vera smiles.

"But..." Legolas continues; he sensed the apparent next sentence.

"But I do not apologize for what I decided, in the end," responds Vera. She meets his eyes; her heart leaps. "Because I know what I am doing. And this war...this war needs us. It needs all the help it can get, and I will do all I can to sustain it."

Legolas sighs in what Vera interpreted as surrender, and it was, as he leaned closer to her and enveloped her in his warmth. He accepted her decision, and whatever choices she will make in the future. "I know, Vera. I would be untruthful to you if I said I did not admire that about you, though I may resent it at times. You are who you are, and I love you for exactly that."

She leaned her head back and stared at him in shock. Her heart began to speed rapidly in her chest like a hummingbird, and her feä was fluttering uncontrollably in her body, and it was taking everything in her not to scream. He said he loved her. Perhaps he has said it before, but something about this moment — right there, in the infirmary of Gondor, alone and only seen to the eyes of the Valar — made it different. More gravitational. Deep. Vera parted her lips, unaware of what words to say.

He waited patiently for her to articulate words, but was instead met with a passionate kiss. The elf had no time to register what was happening as Vera pressed her lips against his fiercely, her feä and actions speaking all the right words to let him understand. He could feel the same fire in his belly rising up and surrounding him in a consuming inferno, and he responded with as much ferociousness. For someone who was injured, Vera did kiss like she was stronger than light. Their souls beat in correspondence, and their little spirit relished in it.