lxxxiii. little girls

╔═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╗

𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑷𝑻𝑬𝑹 𝑬𝑰𝑮𝑯𝑻𝒀 𝑻𝑯𝑹𝑬𝑬
❝ 𝒍𝒊𝒕𝒕𝒍𝒆 𝒈𝒊𝒓𝒍𝒔 ❞

╚═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╝

ROHAN IS JUST AS VERA REMEMBERED it

There wasn't much that changed from when Vera had left with her Corin Decourt, a distant cousin of hers, and Neptune Prince, her half-brother.

The people of Edoras still labored hard day and night for the sake of their families, her friends still continued to defend the walls of their home from dangers and darkness, and her family still remained intact, connecting with one another in ways more than one as they buried their patriarch into the earth, and entered another stage of war. Nothing seemed to change; from the blossoming flowers blooming atop the bushes, and the blades of grass growing vibrantly in the lush greens of the plains of Rohan, and the soil sunk deeper into the earth, giving the world around them life. Vera could feel something familiar flow in her chest as the comforting breeze wafts past her hair and cuddles her warmly, delivering her the welcome that she so dearly missed.

But while everything remains the same, Vera couldn't bring herself to continue being ignorant towards the tension in the air.

Because while the people of Edoras still endured as positively as they could during a time of war, Vera could see the fear hidden beneath their eyes. There is a suffocating air surrounding the city, causing the people more grief and tension than they would like. It is like there is a knife held over their head, ready to decapitate them at any moment; similar to the dangers lurking around the country. Upon arrival, the mermaid had been briefed about the current situation of her second home; apparently, majority of her friends and family have either been obsessed with strategic planning or labor work...Vera supposed it had something to do with the air of their surroundings. Vera could feel it smothering her the moment she entered the city, refreshed from the sensation the water brought her but familiarized with the sense of darkness...just because the same lingering air filtered in her own home.

Atlantis had been different, far too different.

She could not remember seeing a time where the golden walls were so dull, where her people were so restricted and dry, as though they have gone through too much to ever be happy again. It had broken her heart, and the determination to lead her kingdom was only fueled. She was in Atlantis for a few weeks, away from the land above as she delved into the work and new purpose before her. Her only focus — for a long while, at least — had solely been based on giving her kingdom hope...giving her kingdom something to be happy for. She had worked on enlightening her realm, providing her people more happiness in the forms of gold and food and celebrations. Corin and Neptune had been much help, too; they oversaw the battlements and strategic planning.